Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Mobile app for Links
My users use mobile phones.

I know it is possible to view and use Links in the browser on a mobile phone.

But does anyone have experience making a mobile phone app specifically for Links?

Thanks,
Tora
Quote Reply
Re: [tora] Mobile app for Links In reply to
Hi,

You mean a proper app, that they install on their phone? I can certainly do this for you (bit busy currently though with other work). You have 2 options:

1) A fully AJAX loaded app, with as many resources on the phone as possible (to make it faster)
2) A "WebView" app, which will just load a mobile friendly version of your templates (via page.cgi)

The first option is much more expensive.

You should always ask yourself though... do they need an App? Most websites would work fine if you just had a mobile friendly page / responsive web-design. Apps are pretty expensive to do, and a waste of time and money, if no one is going to use it :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Mobile app for Links In reply to
Thanks for your reply, Andy.

I do want an app, and I think users will prefer it to the mobile browser.

I could consider a custom job, but I have seen various options on the web of companies that make apps which use web-page data. I was wondering whether any gossamer-threads product users have experience with them.

some of them are reviewed here:

http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/4901-best-app-makers-creators.html
Quote Reply
Hi,

It really depends on the features you want. I've done a few apps for GLinks (for iOS and Android), and it can vary from a basic category/search/detailed page, up to use logins, ratings, reviews. You could certainly go for a 3rd party writer - but be aware they may not be able to "plug" into the GLinks database properly (depending on what you want to do)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
are they publicly available? can I see them on my iphone?
Quote Reply
Hi,

One of them is. Search for "Steampunk Daily" on the store. Its built around GLinks, using AJAX requests and locally stored data where possible.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thanks! The Steampunk Daily app was easy to find, download and use.

Is there a website on which it is based - I think my googling it did not find the right place.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Hi,

The website is actually hosted on GLinks, on our site here: https://steampunkjunkies.net/daily/1689.html

However, all the stuff you see in the app, is not directly shown (in categories), due to the fact the idea of the app, is that we give them a set number of free images each day (so it wouldn't be good to show ALL the data in one place :))

We then also post them on our FB/Twitter/G+ pages, such as:

https://facebook.com/steampunkjunkies/

This is just an example of an app though - I can make it do most things around GLinks.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy, tora.

Sorry for the intromission, I'll also like more details for an app (Android & iOS), not a native app, I'm looking something more like a web based app (like Phonegapp).

Basically for my business directory. Display categories & links, locate business on a map (based on your current location), be able to leave and read reviews and search capabilities.

I'm running a local business directory.

Thanks in advance and I hope I can get a quote and make it happen!

Jesus
Quote Reply
Re: [Jesus] Mobile app for Links In reply to
Hi Jesus,

PhoneGap apps are what I do :) (thats how I can create Android and iOS apps as one job). Please give me an email with your full specification, and I can certainly give you a quote. I'm pretty busy at the moment with other jobs, so wouldn't be able to start anything for at least a few weeks.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk