Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Max column in link table?

Quote Reply
Max column in link table?
First of - is there a maximum number of columns in the link table. It looks like i will have over 200+ when i have finished?

Also maybe there is a better way to do what im doing. The reason i have so many columns is the use of check boxes. There about 160 checkboxes each has its own column because thats the only way I can find to redisplay and use the check box in the ways i need.

For example there needs to be a checkbox here;
1. add/modify = <input type="checkbox" name="HerBi" value="Yes" <%if HerBi eq 'Yes'%>checked <%endif%>>
2. search = <input type="checkbox" name="HerBi" value="Yes">

Also i need to display the entry if checkbox is yes in;
3. links/details = <%if HerBi eq 'Yes'%> Display text<br> <%endif%>
I.e. i dont want the column represents to show if checkbox eq No

Is there a better way to do this with check boxes so i don’t have to use 160+ columns? and is there a limit with too many columns and performance ?

Thanks

Cat Lovette xx

PS Links Sql is such a great product! It was exactly what I was looking for but didn’t know it before I got it!
Quote Reply
Re: [catlovette] Max column in link table? In reply to
I'm not sure of a better way around what you need to do, appart from check boxes.

Regarding the limit; I don't think there really is one. Its more down to what your browser can handle when displaying thje add/modify etc forms when adding/modifying links in your directory.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Max column in link table? In reply to
Im not sure what you mean about what the Browser can handle? I thought the processing is server side so all the browser gets is html? Or does the browser have to do some of the work?

Cat xx

PS is anyone knows a better way to solve the checkbox issue let me know!
Quote Reply
Re: [catlovette] Max column in link table? In reply to
What I mean is, that if the browser is sent more than a few hundred Kb's of page HTML, then sometimes it struggles, and can cause the browser to crash. Obviously there is a restriction on your server load too. Another factor to look at, is if your SQL database has any restrictions on the number of Columns allowed. For every one you enter in LSQL, it is created in your database (obviously). I did some work for a client a little while back, and we had a problem whereas adding too many fields simply caused most of LSQL's user side to mess up...as well as the adding side in the admin interface.

Hopefully thats clearer Smile

BTW: Regarding another resolution... if you have say the following;

Processor 233Mhz
Processor 500Mhz
Processor 1.2Ghz

...all as seperate boxes, then you could put them into a SELECT box. What I mean is, that if you have a few check boxes, that will only have one of those checkboxes selected for each link....why not do it with a SELECT box? That could cut the number of fields you need...

Hopefully I didn't confuse you too much Crazy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!