Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
HTML Protection
I use Links SQL which does a static build of the html files using a cron job every night.

My static pages contain a custom coded piece of javascript that I am keen for competotors not to be able to cut and paste from my pages.

Is there any way that Links SQL can build obfucated code? I know full proof encryption is not possible and a good programmer will always see what is going on BUT I want to be able to deter the average werbmaster who would be tempted to cut and paste. I suppose a third party utility would be required. I have been looking at sites like http://www.ioncube.com/html_encoder.php but I wouldn't have a clue how to implement such a thing and am not sure if it would work with links.

Many Thanks

Alex

Indigo Clothing is a t-shirt printing company based in the UK.
Indigo Clothing | Promotional Clothing | T-Shirt Printing | Embroidery

Last edited by:

IndigoClothing: Mar 31, 2004, 10:25 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [IndigoClothing] HTML Protection In reply to
Have you tried using the compression option? (Setup > Build Options I think).

That will change stuff like;

Code:
<html>
<b>this is a test</b>
<BR>
<i>test</i>
</html>

...to;

Code:
<html><b>this is a test</b><BR><i>test</i></html>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] HTML Protection In reply to
Andy,

Already got that option switched on - was looking for something a little more heavy duty.

Alex

Indigo Clothing is a t-shirt printing company based in the UK.
Indigo Clothing | Promotional Clothing | T-Shirt Printing | Embroidery
Quote Reply
Not sure there is much else you can do. Why is it so important that the code is disguised?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I ran into something on a free fonts download site.

They encoded things in Hex (?) and it was a real pain to snag their site. <G> <evil laugh> but of course, I did it just because. I don't like being blocked out of html downloads of any sort... and you can't really lock up anything downloaded to a users machine -- only make it annoying.

*BUT* from my point of view, it also potentially gives a false sense of security, so knowing how to "break" things is the first step to locking things up.

So, there has to be something that does the encryption for them.

Don't have a clue what ... but it's common enough utilities are popping up to decode them.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Just a thought - any chance that you could write the code in perl or within the template instead of using javascript? This would be the easiest way to hide it - but obviously depends what the code does.
Quote Reply
Yes. Sure, you can do that.

Don't believe everyone that says it can't be done.

There are commercial products as well as interesting methods like CSS layers that will obfusicate javascript code. I'd search for or buy one.

Here's how:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=hide+javascript

For a little bit of extra simple obfusication, put it in an external file. Then they will have to find the url, figure how to capture it.