Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

GLinks Bookmarks suggestion

Quote Reply
GLinks Bookmarks suggestion
Hi!

<my humble opinion>

It would be a great thing to have the following option in GLinks Bookmarks:

- users are able to add their own bookmarks/links (not just links from the database)

</my humble opinion>

What do you think?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [Payooo] GLinks Bookmarks suggestion In reply to
This is a great idea..

It is actulally the reason I am holding back on using the Glink bookmark..

Currently 50% of the bookmarks users have in our database are external.
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] GLinks Bookmarks suggestion In reply to
In Reply To:
This is a great idea..

Thanks!

Another idea:
- possibility to create folder(s) inside folder(s). This would help users to better organize bookmarks.
Quote Reply
The MyFavLinks program does that. It's essentially an enhanced version of what GT built in.

I never got it stuffed into a plugin properly, but it's on my list. Far as I can tell, it works ok. <G>

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] GLinks Bookmarks suggestion In reply to
In Reply To:
The MyFavLinks program does that. It's essentially an enhanced version of what GT built in.

I never got it stuffed into a plugin properly, but it's on my list. Far as I can tell, it works ok. <G>

I thought that they just included:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/plugins/bookmark/index.htm

into GLinks.

But, it would be nice to have those features in GLinks Wink
Quote Reply
Actually didn't know GLinks had a bookmark plugin. Blush

My plugin was a merger and enhancement of the MyLinks and MyFaves plugins.

I tried to support the cookie version, but realized that was not really possible. So if you want the cookie version, you need to use the old MyFaves.

The new version uses some new tables, a new structure, and some logic to maintain the users copies of the links separately from the main links table. Because of this, the table can include outside links by default.

If a user edits the URL of a link, so that it no longer matches the ID/Link in the Links database, the custom link is detached. Just editing the title or description does not detach the relation. Because of this *all* links are stored in the "custom" table. The smal amount of space savings that might be possible did not justify the added logic overhead to work with links that were in the Links table "unmodified". The goal was to give users the ability to flag links and edit/modify them to make them *more* useful to them.

It also has two levels of "visibility" so that a user can choose to make their bookmarks visible, but an admin can decide that user does not have the privs to do so.

I tried to take the best features of the existing programs, fix the short comings, and add in a few extras. It's a bit copmlicated, and requires you to set up some templates to manage them, but I think it works better over all. :)

Plus, by not being tied to the "links" code base at all, it can be installed/uninstalled/modified separately.

It's completely freestanding, and has the basics for a "Wish list" and other uses as described in other messages. Just have not had the time to flesh it out. Other projects have taken some priority.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.