Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
DMOZ import
Hi,

thinking about using this plug in but I am not sure if it will work for me.
I have my categoreis set up and users submit links via a form that dictates keywords and description for the searches.

If I DMOZ import data into a category how will these fields be populated or doesn't that come into it (maybe I am looking at this the wrong way)

Do I have to upload to one category at a time or can I set it to match data to categories i.e import from DMOZ category A and tell it to fill up category A in my links SQL, same for category B, C and so on.

Just wondering, I like the idea of the DMOZ plugin, it will give my empty links a leg up in usefullness. If someone cpould tell me that woudl be great, also I am not very used to telnet as I have never had the need to use it before, does this make a big difference?

rgds
Kev

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
Re: [KevM] DMOZ import In reply to
What I would suggest is just running the import normally, and then simply move the imported categories. By default, it imports them as they are entered, i.e if you enter Computers/Internet, then it will make the 'Computers' category, and a sub-category called 'Internet', and then place all the contents of that category into that category.

Hope that clears things up :) A DMOZ boost is always a good idea (one of my clients is getting 100,000 hits a month from simply importing half of the DMOZ content). I would recommend running the nph-verify.cgi script too though, as this can help get rid of 'bad' links, and give your directory a cleaner feel to it :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] DMOZ import In reply to
Thanks Andy,

I'm a touch clearer but still not sure if the plugin will work, my categories are already in place and I don't want to change them, just fill them up a little. Moving or generating extra categories is going to cause me problems.

Is the nph-verify thing the bit that makes people fill in submission forms, I haven't got that far in the manual yet but if it is then I am already doing that which gives me another question, how will a dmoz import manage to fill in those forms? I don't spider sites.

What I am aiming for is to import links into my categories and ensure that the description, keywords and title fields are filled in correctly to enable searches. It looks as though DMOZ will be able to do this but I don't figure how.

rgds

Kev

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
Re: [KevM] DMOZ import In reply to
>>>I'm a touch clearer but still not sure if the plugin will work, my categories are already in place and I don't want to change them, just fill them up a little. Moving or generating extra categories is going to cause me problems. <<<

Ok, maybe it won't do what you need.

>>>Is the nph-verify thing the bit that makes people fill in submission forms, I haven't got that far in the manual yet but if it is then I am already doing that which gives me another question, how will a dmoz import manage to fill in those forms? I don't spider sites.
<<<

No, its a script which goes through your database, and reports back on the status code given for the links. I was only suggesting it to you if you put links in from DMOZ, as quite a lot of them will probably be 404's and such.

>>>What I am aiming for is to import links into my categories and ensure that the description, keywords and title fields are filled in correctly to enable searches. It looks as though DMOZ will be able to do this but I don't figure how. <<<

The DMOZ_Wizard will only import the data given by the RDF file (description/title/url/category). All other data has to be grabbed by another method (one of my scripts being one of them, which will whois query the domain name, and based on the results from that, fills in blank Contact_Name and Contact_Email fields).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!