Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Change Template Characters

Quote Reply
Change Template Characters
I want to enforce a character in a foreign language in the templetates so the categories show in different language "lang=ar"
I added this statement in the html tag of templates, but the character set is not changed in templates.
Is there a diffeernet control... like in style sheets or somewhere else to allow me to do also "ltr or rtl" in the tag as the templates get messed up when I do that....
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark2] Change Template Characters In reply to
Any hint? thanks
Quote Reply
I am not sure what go wrong but most the case, this line affects the character on pages very much. May be you need to change to some other charset. For example, utf-8?
Quote:
META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

Cheers,

Cheers,

Dat

Programming and creating plugins and templates
Blog
Quote Reply
Re: [tandat] Change Template Characters In reply to
Use <html lang='ar'> in addition to changing the character code to UTF-8
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Change Template Characters In reply to
Hi Alba,

What is the lang=ar? I did not this my page.

Thanks,

Cheers,

Dat

Blog
Quote Reply
Quote:
What is the lang=ar? I did not this my page.

Where you normally have <html> at the start of your page, replace it with <html lang="ar">

I think you can also add the direction of text in the html tag <html lang="ar" dir="rtl"> but perhaps you have to put it in a separate met tag.
Quote Reply
Actually, the main thing that I did, I put <html lang="ar"> on category and home templates. and I replaced the first line in include_common_head.html with:
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1256" />
and that did it for me...
Now the puzzle is with changing the text all over the place...
and also direction=rtl (corruppted the templates layouts)....
so I need to comeup with new template set for this purpose.
Quote Reply
Hi Alba,

But what do thay mean? I'd love to learn that.

Cheers,

Dat

Cheers,

Dat

Blog
Quote Reply
I would suggest starting by looking at the style sheets. See if you can change the alignment of each section of the page- and perhaps change from using the right margin to using the left margin.

Does anyone have any examples of a site where the language runs rt > lt rather than lt > rt ? None of the languages I'm using do so, but that will hopefully change soon.
Quote Reply
I looked at the style sheets and worked with them quite a bit; however, everything seems to work fine except category.html page as it comes completely corruppted if I use <html lang=ar dir=rtl>.
The problem is with using the rtl tag which is make ONLY category.html page unacceptable (the content area stretches to the left...) and the page is so wide.... also when i view the new source code for category.html page, it seems like missing a tag somewhere that wraps the rightside.html under the content area...... hummm not clear ..
just try to put dir=rtl in category.html template and see the result...
thank you in advance...
Quote Reply
Quote:
just try to put dir=rtl in category.html template and see the result

Yes, it moved a right bracket ) to the wrong side of the text but nothing else. Difficult to try out because all my installations are live.

Quote:

wraps the rightside.html under the content area

what happens if you make the width of the column(s) less? I recall having a problem like this with one of my sites.
Quote Reply
Well! if I make the right column wider, then the right column content will show up correctly in their position, but the problem is with the content area where the sub categories and links appear (the white area)... this area gets shiffted to the left bypass the left column and way to the left (almost screen wide is 5000 px).
it seems there is no closing tag for the right column and that might be the cause of the disalignement... or maybe the span or something...
I think a tag like: dir=ltr should even swap the locations of columns (right to left and left to right), but in this set of templates it does not... which is ok if the content section in category.html shows correctly...
thanks
e.
Quote Reply
I think i remember this problem now... how many categories have you got listed?

If I recall correctly, when teseting the templates I only entered 1 test category and had the missing tag problem. I added antoher 2-3 categories and it then worked fine.
Quote Reply
I added many categories and the catetgory.html (only) still showing corruppted when I use dir=rtl tag in the html header of the page.
any idea way.. would be very helpfull... thank you
Quote Reply
Did anyone figure this out, as when I put <html lang=ar dir=rtl> the whole CONTENT section of the site (luna templates) shifts to the left of the browser (over and pass the leftsidecolumn) ... also the columns (left and right should swap) but they do not.
I tried to change things in style sheets... but no hope...
any idea... thank you..??