Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Best way to move selected links from LSQL2 to GLinks3

Quote Reply
Best way to move selected links from LSQL2 to GLinks3
Hi,

When I installed GLink3 it copied my links from my current install of Lsql V2.

I've since added further links to my current Lsql install and these will need copying over to Glinks when I'm ready to change everything over.

Whats the best way to select a batch of links (the latest ones added) from Lsql2 and insert them into Glinks3?

I've tried a data dump, but that copies ALL of the links, and I only want a selected few.

Also, if I try to insert a link that already exists (same ID); will the current record be overwritten, or is no action taken?

Any help appreciated Smile

Cheers,
Shaun
Quote Reply
Re: [qango] Best way to move selected links from LSQL2 to GLinks3 In reply to
Just a follow-up, I managed to do this manually - there were only a few hundred and it seemed to be the quickest way of doing it Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [qango] Best way to move selected links from LSQL2 to GLinks3 In reply to
Hi,

Easiest way (in hind-sight) would have been to just upgrade to GLinks from LSQL 2.x?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Best way to move selected links from LSQL2 to GLinks3 In reply to
Hi Andy,

That's exactly what I did, however I have continued to add links to my 'current' LSQL V2, whilst I develop my Glinks V3 site in the background.

When I'm ready, I'll swap everything over, however I was looking for an easy way to grab the latest links I'd added to my current production site - so that on the day I switch it over, I can simply copy 'n' paste the newer links into the new V3 version.

I did it this way (which is why I was looking for an easier solution):

• SQL dump to screen of all my links in my current V2
• Save results as a text file
• Edit the link list manually in a text editor (took quite some time) to include only the latest links added (this was made more difficult by the fact the links were not in ID order)
• Added the three extra fields required for Glinks to each line - the fields used for link expiry
• Used MySQLMan and selected my V3 database
• Aded the INSERT lines from the text file into the SQL Monitor to insert then into my V3 site lsql_links table

It would be a great feature in MySQLMan if you could selectively dump records, rather than having to dump the entire table.

Cheers,
Shaun