Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Auth_vBulletin and vBulletin 3.5, errors

Quote Reply
Auth_vBulletin and vBulletin 3.5, errors
I am developing a new site using GLinks 3 and vBulletin. I had the vBulletin plugin working fine under vBulletin 3.0.9 but after upgrading to the new version of vB (3.5) the plugin no longer works.

The 3.5 version uses a different format in config.php, so the database connection variables for the forum aren't being picked up properly by the plugin.

Alex, can you please update this plugin when you have time? At the moment I have hardcoded the forum database variables in the plugin and it all seems to be working fine.
Quote Reply
Re: [aus_dave] Auth_vBulletin and vBulletin 3.5, errors In reply to
What exactly changed in the config?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Auth_vBulletin and vBulletin 3.5, errors In reply to
Adrian, they changed the way the variables are coded (I'm not a PHP guru but it looks like some kind of array?). The relevant sections from the new version of /includes/config.php are as follows:
Code:
// ****** DATABASE NAME ******
// This is the name of the database where your vBulletin will be located.
// This must be created by your webhost.
$config['Database']['dbname'] = 'forum';

// ****** MASTER DATABASE SERVER NAME AND PORT ******
// This is the hostname or IP address and port of the database server.
// If you are unsure of what to put here, leave the default values.
$config['MasterServer']['servername'] = 'localhost';
$config['MasterServer']['port'] = 3306;

// ****** MASTER DATABASE USERNAME & PASSWORD ******
// This is the username and password you use to access MySQL.
// These must be obtained through your webhost.
$config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'root';
$config['MasterServer']['password'] = '';
The previous version just used $servername = 'localhost', etc.
Quote Reply
Also, the cookie from vBulletin doesn't seem to be recognised by Links all that well.

When Links says I am not logged in, I can click on the forums section and vBulletin remembers me. Then if I go back to Links again I am recognised as a registered user.

If I then close the browser application and re-open it in the Links section I am not logged in anymore. When logged in I can close and open new tabs within a browser and still remain logged in in Links.

I'm not sure if this plugin is supposed to use the cookie for the 'Remember me' feature of vBuletin or just to tie the two apps together. There are no problems with the user functions between apps, only the persistence of the login under Links.

I might need to use a vBulletin portal app as a front page so that the majority of the returning users get recognised automatically.
Quote Reply
Could I get a copy of the config.php (w/o any real info in it), so I can see what things have changed to (there's still some other variables that I need)?

Also, can you make me a temp login so I can take a look at the cookies that vBulletin's creating? Thanks.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Auth_vBulletin and vBulletin 3.5, errors In reply to
Adrian, I will email you a copy of the config.php file. I will include the login details as well.

Thanks for looking into this.
Quote Reply
An update...

A big thankyou to Adrian for fixing this plugin and making it work with vBulletin 3.5. There were quite a few changes to how cookies are handled with the new version but he sorted it all out perfectly. It's times like this the money spent on Links is worth every cent.

In case anyone is interested, I have written a small and simple vBulletin plugin to update the email address in the Links user database when a user changes their email address on the vBulletin side. Plugins are new in vB 3.5, PM me for more details Smile.
Quote Reply
I had this exact problem with vBulletin 3.0.x. v1.8 of the plug-in also fixed my problem. Be nice if the installed plug-in updates were displayed when you start LINKS admin...
Quote Reply
Re: [vicos] Auth_vBulletin and vBulletin 3.5, errors In reply to
I have had a few requests for the vBulletin plugin to change the email address in the Links user table, so I have attached it to this post.

Install the plugin in your vBulletin admin (Plugin System -> Download / Upload Plugins) and use the box marked 'Import Plugin Definitions XML File'.

Once installed you need to manually configure your Links database settings by editing the plugin code (Plugin System -> Plugin Manager).

NOTE: Plugins are not compatible with versions prior to vBulletin 3.5.

Last edited by:

aus_dave: Dec 13, 2005, 10:18 PM
Quote Reply
I am unable to make Auth_vBulletin v1.8 work with vB 3.5.3. Does the glinks plugin need any additional editing apart from the path to the vB installation?

If I am logged into the forum Links will recognize my cookies, but users adding their sites to Links are not redirected to the vB registration. Any ideas?
Blush
Quote Reply
Re: [Thomas.] Auth_vBulletin and vBulletin 3.5, errors In reply to
The latest version of the plugin should work with no modifications required.

Do you have Links set up to require registration before adding links?
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
The latest version of the plugin should work with no modifications required.

Do you have Links set up to require registration before adding links?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I have set up Links to require user registration before they are able to submit links. I haven't been able to get the plugin to work. Also, are there any chances in regard to vB latest version 3.6.0?
Quote Reply
Re: [Thomas.] Auth_vBulletin and vBulletin 3.5, errors In reply to
The plugin works fine with v. 3.6 - there were no changes to the authentication system in this version of vBulletin.