Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Ad Cycle Category Targetting

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Ad Cycle Category Targetting
Hi
I have purchased Ad Cycle and I'm having a problem using the category targeting with the instructions included in Ad Cycle help file.
Here's what I did - Doesn't work.
In the category html I inserted the code <%Plugins::Adcycle::display_category_banner%>
I also added a group to the categories I wanted targeted banner to appear.
All I see on the page is a small dot. When you click on the dot you get to an advertiser that isn't even targeted to this category.
If anyone has a solution or suggestion to help me get this problem solve I would very much appreciate it.

It seems from the posts I read that other people are experiencing the same sort of problems.

Thanks in advance
Janx

Quote Reply
Re: Ad Cycle Category Targetting In reply to
Janx,

I was having similar problems. In the end, what I did to get banners stuffed into categories was to include the following in my category template:

<%if category_id eq '1'%>
<%Plugins::Adcycle::display_banner ('13')%>
<%elseif category_id eq '2'%>
<%Plugins::Adcycle::display_banner ('15')%>
<%elseif category_id eq '3'%>
<%Plugins::Adcycle::display_banner ('14')%>
<%elseif category_id eq '4'%>
<%Plugins::Adcycle::display_banner ('16')%>
<%endif%>

You get the picture. An advantage for me to doing it this way is that I can now have more than one ad group per category. I can have a 468x60 banner, a text link, and a 125x125 tile (for example).

Joe

Quote Reply
Hi Joe

Thanks for replying to my post. Could you possibly explain a few things for me regarding your solution.

The code you provided
<%Plugins::Adcycle::display_banner ('15')%>
<%elseif category_id eq '3'%>
<%Plugins::Adcycle::display_banner ('14')%>
<%elseif category_id eq '4'%>
<%Plugins::Adcycle::display_banner ('16')%>
<%endif%>

Are you sure it goes in the category template - meaning category.html? It seems to be a piece of code.

Also what does these numbers represent ('13')% ('14')% etc... I am assuming that they represent groups..right?

Another question perhaps you can answer. It seems that the banners aren't using SSI even though I chose this option. I checked my server and it claims I can run SSI. Do you know if I have to add or setup anything on my server to run SSI banners?

Thanks Again...your help is appreciated.
Janx

Quote Reply
Are you sure it goes in the category template - meaning category.html? It seems to be a piece of code.

That's right. I did the same in category.html. It's a large code if you have lots of different categories but it works perfect.

Also what does these numbers represent ('13')% ('14')% etc... I am assuming that they represent groups..right?

That's also right. The Numbers are the AdCycle Group ID's. Just go into your admin/Plugins. Click on AdCycle Group ID's and you will get a list of all groups and IDs.

I use this way to display a Full-Dize and a Halfe-Size-Banner on the top of my WebSites:

<TABLE BORDER=0"><TR><TD>
</TD><TD>
<%Plugins::Adcycle::display_banner ('28')%>
</TD><TR>
</TABLE>
<%endif%>
(all in the category.html-template)

Quote Reply
Thanks for the clarification, Manu.

Regarding:

Another question perhaps you can answer. It seems that the banners aren't using SSI even though I chose this option. I checked my server and it claims I can run SSI. Do you know if I have to add or setup anything on my server to run SSI banners?

I run Links on a Cobalt webserver, so activating SSI is as simple as checking a box. All your html files will have to end in shtml as well.

If you're running Apache on your webserver, check this link out:

http://httpd.apache.org/.../howto/ssi.html.html

Joe

Quote Reply
Thanks Manu for simplifying this for me, I think I now understand the concept. I will try the code in my category.html and see if the targeting shows up.

Joe - thanks for your help and also the link to the SSI how-to page.

I bought the script because I thought that once you insert the code provided everything would work. I guess life isn't this simple.

Thanks again for your help.
Janx

Quote Reply
Janx,

Have you been able to get everything working?

Joe

Quote Reply
Hi Joe
No, not yet, thanks for asking. My problem is that I have over 350 categories. If I add this code to my category.html it would be a long.

What I don't understand is why Alex said it would take a very simple line of code to get targeted banners. I only purchased the script because I thought it would work well with Links SQL without the headache of tweaking it. I know absolutely nothing about coding and programming so it takes a lot of time for me to get things working the way I want them to.

As for the SSI banners I know that I can run SSI with the .shtml on my server so I guess I will have to change the pages from .html to .shtml. I think it would put to much load on the server if I was to try to get the banners loading SSI in the .html mode. I am assuming if I end the ending .shtml everything will work.

If and when I get Ad Cycle working I'll let you know.

P.S. I looked at some of the web-site your company designed - You do great work.

Janx

Quote Reply
Janx,

Thanks for the compliments!

You know, if you want to make your category.html less cumbersome, you could always create a separate file with your banner code. For example, you'd call it banner_ads.txt and just put <%include banner_ads.txt%> where you wanted the banners on your category pages.

This allows you to play with the placement of the banners without cutting and pasting a lot of text.

I too was frustrated with the real-world functionality of this plugin falling short of GT's claims. I guess I was hoping it would be fixed in the future.

Joe

Quote Reply
Hi Joe

What a wonderful idea! life is much easier when there are helpful people around. Do you mean I can put the code you previously suggested in a text file and then just add an include file to my category.html. Is this right?

Thanks once again
Janx

Quote Reply
Janx,

That's right!

Now, when you decide to tackle the search targeted banners, let me know how you fare. I haven't been able to get them to work. :(

JOe

Quote Reply
I'm not quite ready for the search targeting (tried it, didn't work) But I am determined to get everything working...will let you know.
Thanks Again
Janx

Quote Reply
Hi Janx,

Sorry about the late reply on this. We updated the plugin a few days ago (version 2.3). If you use this one and use:

<%Plugins::Adcycle::display_category_banner%>

then it will display the banner targeted to the category you are on, and you don't need the very large if statements.

We are going to write a quick FAQ on setting up search terms, as it involves going into AdCycle and setting targetted keywords which isn't obvious (and AdCycle is missing some docs). =)

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex
Thanks for letting me know about the upgrade.
I downloaded the new AdCycle and followed your instruction... now all I see on the page is a small dot where the banner showld be. Any clue what's going on?

Thanks
Janx

Quote Reply
Hi,

Can you send me admin access to your Links SQL so I can see what's going on? The small dot problem should have been fixed.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex
I sent the information you requested to support@gossamer-threads.com

Thanks
janx

Quote Reply
Hiya Alex,

I am experiencing the same problem. Could you post your resolution to Janx's problem? I have a feeling it will help me too.

FYI, I get an Internal Server Error with <%Plugins::Adcycle::display_search_banner%> in the search_results.html file.

Thanks!

Joe

Quote Reply
Hey all,
I just bought the AdCycle pluggin and got the same problem (the "dot"), I could figure out what's going on...

The width and height sizes of the banners are not defined when using this command (that's why it generates a 0x0 sized banner -> the "dot" you call) -> this is a cut/paste of my code generated ->

Alex and Co, could you check out and release a bug fix ASAP?

Thanks for your support.

Steve R.

Quote Reply
Hi,

Sorry about that, it was a typo. We've put up version 2.4 now which fixes that, and fixed it on your site.

For anyone else, just redownload and reinstall it (don't need to reinstall adcycle though) and you will be fine.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex
Thanks for fixing the adcycle targeting. It seems to be targeting now but I still have a few problems I still can't figure out.
I renamed all my pages with the .shtml extension and changed the extensions in the SQL setup to be able to include SSI banners.

My problem is all banners using the html code instead of a gif or jpg don't show up, instead show the black adcycle banner.

I also noticed when checking the banners that do work, that although I targeted the banner to open in a new page..., banners open in the same page.

Last but not least. The text under the ads won't show. I've come to the conclusion that it obvious the SSI isn't working, but if I use a straight code in the page everything works the way it should, meaning the SSI...banners open in new window and text shows up under banner.

This is what I'm inserting in the category page <%Plugins::Adcycle::display_category_banner%>

Is this something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
Janx

Quote Reply
I have installed the Adcycle plugin version 2.5 (latest version) and can't seem to get the targeted keyword to work properly. After inserting <%Plugins::Adcycle::display_search_banner%> in the search_results.html template I just get the little black dot and when you click on it you go back to an AdCycle page.

I tried following the steps stated in the Help section several times but no text ad banners appear after typing in the targeted keywords - when doing a search.

Please help!

Thanks.

Mark G.
OhioBiz

Quote Reply
I'm also interested in anyone having luck with the search targeted banners. Let me know how you got it to work. Thanks!

Joe

Quote Reply
Hi,

We just updated the plugin to 2.6. It will now display an error if there is a problem getting your keyword banner. This can happen if you haven't set up a keyword group in AdCycle.

Try it out now, and see if that helps.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex,

I tried it again after installing AdCycle Plug-in v2.6 and I now get the text "Adcycle Plugin: Keyword group is invalid or unspecified. Please make sure the keyword group is set and exists."

I already have a keyword group specified. Do I need to re-set something?

Thanks for you help.

Mark G.

Quote Reply
Hi,

Can you send me admin access to your Links SQL so I can take a look (as well as username/pass to your Adcycle installation).

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
> >