Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Ace_News v2
Hi. Just to let people know, I am working on version 2 of Ace_News now. This version supports the following;

+ Editor system, where people can log in and add articles/categories.
+ Search results
+ Span pages.
+ Full template enabled.
+ Tags that will enable you to show category, search query or newest links, via one tag that you can put in your template.
+ Supports HTML articles.
+ Supports images for categories/articles.

I've got the user side of things done now, and almost the whole admin side. I really just have the documentation to do now, the editor system, and a bit more testing.

Just wanted to keep people informed, as this has been a patiently waited for plugin update. I'm very impressed with the outcome so far.. .

Any suggestions, please let me know!

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Ace_News v2 In reply to
Ok.... this is finished now. Just got to write some documentation, and get any bug fixes made that my beta testers find, and then it will be ready for release.

Its easily 1000% times better than version 1. The main features are;

+ Search ability ... (news.cgi?a=search)
+ Editor login via news_editor.cgi. In the main LinksSQL admin, you can decide if they can add categories,articles, or both.
+ Main admin panel. This has a lot more functionality than the first version. It lets you add categories, editors, articles etc.. as well as modify/delete them.
+ On news.cgi, the categories are template based (similar to subcategory.html). You can also use a <%loop%> on the news.cgi front page template (give you the ability to fit it around your design).
+ Repair counts feature.. . this is similar to the main Links SQL's option. Basically, yuo click this, and it will repair any categories that have their counts incorrect. This is great if you want to bulk add/delete articles via MySQLMan, or stuff like that.
+ Categories/Articles support one image each (i.e if you want to put a picture next to the cateogry names, or include a phote in the article).
+ The short articles work in plain text, whilst the main articles work as HTML.
+ Category span pages. The number per page can be defined in the plugin settings.

Well, I'll keep you informed. May have a couple of extra things before final release, and I'll definatly be adding quite a few more features for 2.1.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Last edited by:

Andy: Sep 13, 2003, 8:11 AM
Quote Reply
Another feature I just added;

+ Basic HTML editor. Lets you center/left/right align, bold,italic, etc. Pretty much the same features GT have in their GForum editor. This is only supported in IE 5.5 and greater. Not a required feature (editors can click on the 'switch to advanced HTML editor' link to get to it)

I'm pretty impressed with this Cool

Also, tomorrow, I'm going to add view tracking for the articles. Pretty much what it sounds like... just tracks the number of times people have viewed particual articles.

I'm looking forward to this realease...I know that my beta testers have been very impressed with it so far Smile

Ok, I'm off to bed now. Its 1am :/

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ok, here is an example of the editor system;

http://linkssql.net/...dev/news_editor.cgi?

Username: andy
Password: andy

You can add/delete/modify categories and articles. I'm in the process of writing the Readme now, so should have a final version later today. I'll also get a demo of it setup on the demo site.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
looking look.

I am looking forward to see it in the download area of your site :-)

Bent
Quote Reply
Re: [bannerzone] Ace_News v2 In reply to
Smile. Just adding a few more features, and final beta testing is going through now. Only found a couple of bugs. The editing is more for the usability (i.e changing field names etc).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,

the script does, as others have pointed out, look highly impressive. Happy to beta test it for you. One major question, does the various admins have restricted access only to the category they are allocated?

Cheers

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: [Gypsypup] Ace_News v2 In reply to
Hi. I've already got a few beta testers... thanks for the offer though :)

Regarding the admins. The plugin won't currently let you assign editors to specific categories I'm afraid. It will let you decide what an editor can add though (cateogories, new, or both).

Thanks for the interest :) Should have a final release VERY soon.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk