Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[UPDATE] Multiple File Attachment "MultiUp"

Quote Reply
[UPDATE] Multiple File Attachment "MultiUp"
I'm getting close to "beta" on this, as I've posted in another thread. It's taken much longer, but I've been wrestling with 3 or 4 major programs at the same time:

1) auction/shopping (which since someone else is really working on it, I've put on hold).
2) banner/advertising (which since GT did official plugins for, I quit working on).
3) ratings/review (which has not gotten much user support... )
4) Logo/Graphic single-file upload programs
5) Multiple Attachment uploads
6) Image Gallery / Photo Management system.

Anyway, the MultiUp plugin will do:

1) have a similar interface to the Logo/graphic program, but will allow for mutliple attachments to the same link, not just one.
2) It will not store image data in the "link" but rather in an Attachments table.
3) It will be able (theoretically) to handle any sort of upload, but will "recognize" images in GIF/JPG/BMP/PNG format, and will automatically create a thumnail view, if you'd like it to.
4) It will use the <%loop%> system of tags, so you can create mini-thumbnail pages for each link, if you'd like.
5) It will allow you to access each attachment separately, so you can sort of minimally format the page (not using <%loop%> tags.
6) It will store files in a /path/to/storage/x/nn/n/ID format (as described in the previous thread).
7) It will use the "links" permissions table, so that if you have "user-mod" enabled, if a link has been validated, and contains at least one valid attachment, a user can modify/add attachments without requiring admin approval. The 1-approved-attachment restriction has merit, if you think about it. I'm really not interested in removing that, and consider "hacking around it" sort of akin to disabling your seat belt buzzer and warning light :) You do so at your own risk, but I'm not going to do it for you :)
8) Admins can validate partial attachments, with the other attachments staying in the "pending" area until validated.
9) Admin/Edit functions should allow (maybe not in the beta) the ability to edit/approve by link, but also by attachment and user. So, you can get a list of all a users attachments as well as a list of all that users links with attachments.
10) It requires Image::Size & Net::PBM to be installed via CPAN or other route. I believe Net::PBM is now at SourceForge.com. It does NOT require Image::Magick, and it actually only requires a subset of Net::PBM, not the whole package.
11) Other features, as determined by the feedback from the beta release.

Keep your fingers crossed, and I may have a release by Wednesday!! Monday is bad, but if I can get some good coding in on Tuesday, I can clean it up on Wednesday, and release it. It's still _nasty_, but none of the functionalty/layout should change between the betas and the release, so code clean up will be progressive with each beta until final.

This is a COMMERCIAL mod, for $75. You can order from the FAQ site, and if you are planning on using it, you might consider making sure you've got Image::Size and Net::PBM installed and working. I can't really help much with those. They installed without a problem on my Solaris box, so they should install just as easily on whatever servers you are running on. This program doesn't do any error checking on those programs -- if they aren't there or don't work, the results will vary from error messages to blank screens. I did leave an option in so you can set the path to those programs (Net::PBM) in case you have to install them locally, and/or your perl install can't find them. Image::Size is a CPAN module, and should install (or be installed) in the normal location.

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum