Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[Suggestion] Installer options

Quote Reply
[Suggestion] Installer options
Alex, GT Staff,

I've a big problem with the installer.
Since the form & 'Install' button is hard coded into the 'plugin_manager_pre_install.html' template, there is not possible to create complex installer scripts, with more user interaction (multiple pre install pages).
If I could avoid displaying the original form & 'Install' button, I could create more complex installer with more user interaction about installing process (using multiple pre_install pages).

The solution would be to allow an $OPTION hashref variable in install.pm (similar to $META variable), which would contain several advanced options for the GT::Plugins::Manager::pre_install, pre_uninstall, and maybe for install, uninstall, too.

Example usage in installer.pm:
$OPTION = {
pre_install_button_display => 0,
pre_install_form_display => 0,
pre_uninstall_button_display => 1,
pre_uninstall_form_display => 1,
};

This is just an example, and there could be more options as required, even to completely control the lookout of the installer html codes.

Alex, I hope you see, why the multi screen pre install screens are required.
If you need more info about the idea, let me know.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Mar 3, 2003, 4:58 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] [Suggestion] Installer options In reply to
I' not too sure why it is "required"

I've always added user options into pre_install and pre_uninstall without a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] [Suggestion] Installer options In reply to
That's your problem. Smile You never aggreed anything I suggested...
The fact, that you did not face with such problems, does not means, that the suggestion is useless...
Instead probably means, that I use more advanced solution than you used earlier.

If Alex or GT staff will ask for more info about my suggestion, I will explain it in more details.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Quote:
That's your problem.

I'm not sure which problem exactly you are referring to. I said I'd never had a problem :)

Quote:
The fact, that you did not face with such problems, does not means, that the suggestion is useless...

Who said your idea was useless?

Quote:
Instead probably means, that I use more advanced solution than you used earlier.

Probably Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] [Suggestion] Installer options In reply to
Quote:
Who said your idea was useless?
The thread earlier had overall 10 post, then you deleted 8 offtopic posts as moderator. No problem. I just mention this, because I quote from one of your deleted post. You wrote:
"I don't know you so the fact that I disagree with your ideas means nothing other than the fact I don't think they are practical or I simply don't like them."
That means: you don't think my suggestions are not practical, or you simply don't like them.
Not practical = useless

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
I'm not going to let this thread get off topic so it needs pruning again, that would be OTT.

I'm not going to comment further.