Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[New Plugin] reCAPTCHA v1.0 - No GD or ImageMagick needed. =)

Quote Reply
[New Plugin] reCAPTCHA v1.0 - No GD or ImageMagick needed. =)
Hello Everyone,

I guess it was my turn to be hammered with registration emails recently. I received few hundreds undeliverable emails for past couple of weeks comming from russian and chinese spam bots. Turning off email validation is not an option for me because the site in question is a review community and I need to be sure that the persons behind the reviews are real.

I didn't want complicated solution involving more software installed on the servers so I decided take Google's reCAPTCHA API for a spin :)

And here is the result:

reCAPTCHA Plugin

Price: $20

More details: http://www.zaaron/gt/

Description: The reCAPTCHA plugin integrates Google's reCAPTCHA API to GLinks to prevent spam. What's different about reCAPTCHA is that they use the verification words to correct OCR mistakes in scanned books.

In their words: "About 200 million CAPTCHAs are solved by humans around the world every day. In each case, roughly ten seconds of human time are being spent. Individually, that's not a lot of time, but in aggregate these little puzzles consume more than 150,000 hours of work each day. What if we could make positive use of this human effort? reCAPTCHA does exactly that by channeling the effort spent solving CAPTCHAs online into "reading" books."

Features:
The plugin currently supports the following user actions (all configurable):
    • User Sign Up
    • User Login
    • Add Link
    • Modify Link
    • Rate Link
    • Add Review
    • Modify Review

No images are stored on the server
No GD or ImageMagick needed. =)
Support's audio CAPTCHA

Get in touch if you need to see a demo, unfortunately the site is live so I can't post it here.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask (either here, or via PM).

Cheers,
Boris

Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Auth for GLinks and GCommunity | reCAPTCHA for GLinks | Free GLinks Plugins
Quote Reply
reCAPTCHA CSS fix In reply to
Hi,

Just nailed a fix for the ugly display of reCAPTCHA widget caused by Google's CSS rules.

For everyone who uses default Luna templates, you can add rule below to your luna.css:

Code:
#recaptcha_widget_div {
display: inline-block;
}

I'll add this to next version docs.

Cheers,
Boris

Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Auth for GLinks and GCommunity | reCAPTCHA for GLinks | Free GLinks Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [eupos] [New Plugin] reCAPTCHA v1.0 - No GD or ImageMagick needed. =) In reply to
I'm using the latest links and need some help or ideas adding reCAPTCHA to Luna to stop spam links. Crazy[/b]
http://www.hopeforyou.com