Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[NEW PLUGIN] Thumbnails_Import

Quote Reply
[NEW PLUGIN] Thumbnails_Import
Thumbnails_Import
v1

Author: Andy Newby (UltraNerds.com)
Details Page: http://www.ultranerds.com/...ge.cgi?ID=49&d=1

About: This plugin will basically enable you to import thumbnail images from ThumbShots.org. Please note, that not every link in DMOZ is run. From tests, it only seems that about 3 quarters of the links in my test directories actually had thumbnail images made. This isn't a problem with the plugin, but more with the data that they are providing.

Please see here for details on link back practices: http://www.thumbshots.org/faq.pxf#dintptta

There is not much more else to say about this plugin, except make sure you have a large amount of disk space! You need at least 15Gb while running the import, and then enough space to saves the images after (the XML files can all be removed, which gets rid of a lot of Gb's).

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Last edited by:

Andy: Feb 19, 2004, 5:25 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [NEW PLUGIN] Thumbnails_Import In reply to
We are looking at several ways to improve this plugin.

One is integrating it into the ImageSQL database, so you can initially populate your directory, and keep it updated -- but not overwrite paid logos and placements.

We are very interested in your suggestions, and will maintain a running discussion on http://ultranerds.com/forum for it.

If we can find code to write our own screenshots, we'll be able to fully populate your niche directories for you, but as yet, I haven't been able to piece together anything that works, and I don't want to resort to capturing windows screen shots and resizing.

there *must* be an automated means.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] [NEW PLUGIN] Thumbnails_Import In reply to
In Reply To:

If we can find code to write our own screenshots, we'll be able to fully populate your niche directories for you, but as yet, I haven't been able to piece together anything that works, and I don't want to resort to capturing windows screen shots and resizing.
Pugdog, Any progress on this? I'd really like to import only a subset of the religion section of dmoz ccunet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
Re: [ccunet] [NEW PLUGIN] Thumbnails_Import In reply to
Hi,

No. It's still a manual process. It has to be run on a windows terminal, with a human making sure it doesn't stop, choke, or other wise go boom. (usually because of funky spam-related pop ups and code on the web pages).

In order to do it differently, we need to find a c++ (?) programmer, who can go through the Mozilla code, and render the screen to a buffer, rather than the browser window itself. Probably needs to know several other associated languages too <G> . Beyond what my poor brain will allow me to do at my age. It would be a complete rewrite of this whole process, since right now it uses MSIE, but mozilla is open source, and there _should_ be a way to pipe the url to a buffer, turn all "bad" features off, and then grab the buffer, rather than moving it to the screen -- and to do it under Unix not windows. In that case, it would run automated, if it stopped, Unix would be able to restart it, and if the URL was pulled from the queue _before_ it was checked, a restart would bypass a problem URL. But, this is only a dream at this point. Know any kids who want to hack Mozilla??? <G>

I'm really surprised it hasn't been done yet... maybe no one has gotten the bug -- or I completely don't understand the rendering process (but the screen is only a buffer, so any buffer can be used.... at least that is how it _used_ to be back when I did do some *real* programming <G>).

If you need screenshots for a part of a directory, though, I've put up a price link to the service on Ultranerds. Not cheap, but shouldn't break the bank either if you want to prettify your directory.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
The script run a while and then stop with the following error:

GT::SQL::Driver::MYSQL::sth (16912): Executing query: SELECT * FROM lsql_Links WHERE URL = 'http://www.goldenwestcycle.com/' from at thumb_import.cgi line 72
GT::SQL::Driver::MYSQL::sth (16912): Executing query: SELECT * FROM lsql_Links WHERE URL = 'http://www.gtfi.org' from at thumb_import.cgi line 72
GT::SQL::Driver::MYSQL::sth (16912): Executing query: SELECT * FROM lsql_Links WHERE URL = 'http://www.halstead-referees.co.uk/' from at thumb_import.cgi line 72
GT::SQL::Driver::MYSQL::sth (16912): Executing query: SELECT * FROM lsql_Links WHERE URL = 'http://www.holeinonecigarholder.com/' from at thumb_import.cgi line 72
GT::SQL::Table (16912): Failed to execute query: 'SELECT * FROM lsql_Links WHERE URL = ? ' Reason: Unknown error at /GT/SQL/Driver/MYSQL.pm line 117.
Failed to execute query: 'SELECT * FROM lsql_Links WHERE URL = ? ' Reason: Unknown error at thumb_import.cgi line 72, <READXML> line 124.

What can be the problem?

thanks

Best regards from
Bremen/Germany

Lothar
Quote Reply
Re: [eljot] [NEW PLUGIN] Thumbnails_Import In reply to
I hate to tell you this... but as I found out last week, Thumbshots.org are not updating the thumbnail images any more :( (you either have to use the commercial service from thumbshots.com; or the free URL code from thumbshots.org).

Sorry for any inconvenince this may have caused :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi Andy,

I've had no problem get the last free file from thumbshots.org

The script slice the 696 *.xml files but stop. I think the reason
is not the commercial service...

Best regards from
Bremen/Germany

Lothar
Quote Reply
You sure the version is right?

I just took a look on their FAQ pages, and it says the "dump" files are no longer available. Their reason, is because it means they can save bandwidth, and provide a better "dynamic" service.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I've get the thumbshot file TS11Mar04.1
from thumbshots.org before yesterday
and had it on my server ;-)

Best regards from
Bremen/Germany

Lothar
Quote Reply
ftp://sunsite.dk/...b/otp/TS11Mar04.1.gz

Best regards from
Bremen/Germany

Lothar
Quote Reply
TS11Mar04.1.gz

TS 11th March (20)04

Wink (i.e that copy is from back from March this year).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I know that the file is not from yesterday,
but this is no reason why the script should
not work, or is it? Crazy

Best regards from
Bremen/Germany

Lothar
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I know that the file is not from yesterday,
but this is no reason why the script should
not work, or is it? Crazy

Not honestly sure. I wish I had the time to look into it... but one of my clients server's went offline (hard drive failure), so I'm REALLY busy at the moment :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk