Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
[BETA] MyFavLinks Plugin
The program is running well enough that I have started to show it off to people on a few sites, to see if they find any quirks with it.

It's not ready for general release yet, as a few issues need to be resolved, some code clean up, and some template fixes need to be done. It ships with the default Links templates, but you can cut the relevant code portions out of each MFL_ template and put them into your own version pretty easily. I'd suggest taking a default "empty" template, like the error.html and saving/renaming it several times to match the MFL_ templates, then copy the "content" portion of each template over the <%error%> tag and statement. Then edit the <TITLE> tag and the ERROR header bar. Anyway, that's another story <G>

The program will be part of the Ultra package, and anything else Andy wants to include it in. It will effectively replace the MyFaves program, and all currently registered users can upgrade.

*NOTE*

The current version *MAY* (or may not) run cookies <G> There is _NO_ change in the cookie code, so if your site is running cookies, there is no reason to upgrade, at all... none ... unless you want to bang your head on the wall a few times.

The current version does *NOT* import/update any current SQL installation. It's only a _BETA_ and as such, should be for new sites, willing to start out with this program.

The program will change, but the feature set is pretty locked at the moment, mostly bug fixes, enabling not yet enabled features, and cleaning up the code.

The first release will include a bare-bones import from a stock MyLinks or MyFaves installation, and will convert a cookie user to an SQL user, if I can figure out the cookie system.

Look for the release in a few days, and if I get it cleaned up enough, I'll post a test site you can see the new features/layout on later tonight.

The test site is running the OTP thumbnails, and my modified otp_fetch program, so it's pretty cool with the images on most links.

You can change the display of the links by changing the <%include%> file in the template, and if I can figure out an easy way to do it, you can give users a choice of "enhanced" or "lean" display options.

90% of the work is done, it's mostly clean up, and then enhancing features based on feedback.

Next: AmazonSQL - a bridging interface between Links SQL and Amazon's Affiliate sales.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] [BETA] MyFavLinks Plugin In reply to
I have the most current version running on:

http://StarTrekLinks.com

this is running a slightly advanced template set, using the OTP thumbnails and some of my own, along with a modified "fetch" program to cache them.

The released program will use your own link.html file to display links.

You can add/modify/delete your own links. But you can't yet view anyone elses links. That's the last thing I have to connect before I can release the plugin. That and the ratings, but the ratings is done, just some template code.

If you want to see how it works, logon, and play with it. I think I covered pretty much everything.

Everything is template driven, so you shouldn't have to edit the code. Right now, it's still klunky, so custom fields added to the UserOptions or _Lunks tables may not work right, but they should when the plugin is actually released. As long as you follow the simple rules for setting things, the program should work as expected.

NOTE: When the wish-list/watch-list code is connected, you will be able to config an admin option to effectively use the LinkID::UserID format for displaying links. Right now, the MFL list *only* displays a title and url for a link. It keeps track of them separately, so you can't use extended Links table data. There is a reason for this.... as described previously. A user can always click the link, and see the full data as stored in your database. But, in a future relase, you can override the "MFL_Custom_Table" format, and while the table structure will not change, the display output will use the Links records, not the MFL records for any links with a LinkID (eg: non custom links). But, that is later.

Right now, this is a way for a user to store custom links, their own title/description for them, and not just "duplicate" your directory in a mini form. It's really _their_ list, and lacks "general" data that is really only applicable to the Main directory -- hits, ratings, etc. It's _THEIR_ list.

These are some of the hard concepts that had to be worked out early on, and why it took so long. These other "features" can be built back in, now that the list is working as a FAVORITES list, not as as mirror.

Let me know what you think.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] [BETA] MyFavLinks Plugin In reply to
Oh,...after about 200+ go arounds, one thing I can safely say the progam _DOES_ do , is cleanly uninstall/re-install <G>

Please leave a PM here.