Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Hide or Delete URL Column

Quote Reply
Hide or Delete URL Column
Can I remove URL column from my DB or at least hide it out, as my URLs refer to local files (attachements) on my site?
Or is there a way to automatically build the corressponding URL that points to the attached file and store it in this format:
<%config.db_cgi_url%>/movie.cgi?movie_name=<%ID%>-<%attachement_name%>
I tried modifying URL in links db and put it as default, but <%ID%>-<%attachement_name%> did not get built as they are only seen from link.html.
I may need to replace: <%config.db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%> in link.html with the above link but the URL field is still there.. I need to remove it or hide it?
any suggestion... thank u in advance...
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark2] Hide or Delete URL Column In reply to
Make sure the URL column is allowed to be null.

Use another column to hold the local file hyperlink. <%localfile%>

Remove <%config.db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%> from the template and insert <%localfile%>
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Hide or Delete URL Column In reply to
If I do that (replace the jump.cgi) will I lose the hits tracking of links as I think if I replace jump.cgi, I will have no real tracking of how many times this link was clicked as well as popularity...etc.

Then I guess, I need to put the question differently:
I call a script (movie.cgi) to play an attached movie (attachement_name), so instead of having to the current URL jump into some location, I want it to call the following link always (for all links):
<%config.db_cgi_url%>/movie.cgi?movie_name=<%ID%>-<%attachement_name%>
and this link will open in new window and playes the movie.
So, the URL should always be <%config.db_cgi_url%>/movie.cgi?movie_name=<%ID%>-<%attachement_name%> but I am unable to make it work if I put it as a default URL in the links db!!
And if I can replace jump.cgi call with <%config.db_cgi_url%>/movie.cgi?movie_name=<%ID%>-<%attachement_name%> then will the system keep on mesuring hits and popularities... if so then this is the ideal solutions I guess...
thank you