Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Mylinks and shopping-cart

Quote Reply
Mylinks and shopping-cart
I installed mylinks to see how it works, and I got the idea that it must be possible to make a "light" shopping-card out of it.

I can move informations to mylinks and can define them as an item with price. Adding more items, and remove them, is also possible.

I did not try it but as I know should easy computations (sum prices to total) should be no problem, using %tags%.

There are maybe some problems because of navigation ..... not sure

Maybe the biggest problem is that user need to login before they can use mylinks. Thatīs not good to become a shopping-card. User just need to click on the buy-button, without register before ......

Itīs just an idea. I think there should be a way to integrate a shopping-solution into links.

Does someone have a solution for small business? Without online transaction (creditcard-data can be transmitted by email or saved with crypting special numbers).

Michael

--
Michael Skaide

http://www.cycle24.de

Quote Reply
Re: [Michael Skaide] Mylinks and shopping-cart In reply to
I would think merchantorderform.com would work with most things. It is a perl script shopping cart. I played with it and it seemed like it would work with most Content Management Systems (CMS). It is pretty reasonably priced and fairly configurable. It is not database driven, but for most things this shouldn't be a problem. I think it would work on a mixed site, ie: perl & php. It does take a little knowledge of forms and html, but if you are able to modify the links templates, this is not that much harder to work with.

BTW, I have no association with MOF except it being on my short list of scripts to purchase.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [vanderen] Mylinks and shopping-cart In reply to
Rob,

I use mof since 2 years at different projects. Itīs a very good script and itīs just an idea of mine to think about an "inside links" solution.

If you think about purchasing mof I can tell you that Iīm very satisfied with the script and the author Russel Alexander who made a special discount computation for me.

Sometimes I have customers who tell me that they have problems, but I have the feeling that they have problems because of cookies and javascript settings.

There is ARES, a affiliate script which works with mof, but I think this script needs much more programming and admin features to work professional with it.

I wish mof would have the style/structure of linksql. It would be very good to have user languages to offer the shopping-cart for different languages templates.

I have searched a lot for a good shopping-cart (for a realistic-price), and mof was my choice after I tried some other scripts.

Michael

--
Michael Skaide

http://www.cycle24.de

Quote Reply
Re: [Michael Skaide] Mylinks and shopping-cart In reply to
One source of problems can be a user having multiple windows open and adding items to the shopping cart from those various windows and then going to checkout from an "older" window.

It seems like there was a shopping cart thread somewhere and the GT staff mentioned they had looked at it but there were problems as most of their clients used shared hosting and the shared accounts didn't really have a physically separate secure server. I think GT would have to make a physically separate secure server a system requirement for any Links SQL shopping cart plugin. Just that would be difficult to ensure and difficult to make sure someone didn't tweak the script to get around that

I think it is a lot harder to write a secure cart system than it appears. It is also an area where a lot of people have the motivation ($$$) to hack a cart system and create liabilities for a lot of people that don't exist in a plain links installation.

The languages and templates are something that I didn't even consider. MOF seems to be really adaptable because it is simple, but that simplicity can be a disadvantage when working with a database driven site using various templates.

A cart plug for GT Community/Links in would put GT in competition with Miva, TheExchangeProject (TEP), eZpublish, etc. Most of these require root access and cron jobs.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading