Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Bad Link automation
One of the most important things running a directory is maintaing the validity of the links. There are quite a few tools in links SQL but i think some automation would be good. This is what i suggest:

i) An extra field added to each link which is something like isError. This would be default to 0 but if is set to 1 then the link is not displayed at all.

Internal Link Checking:

--Every x days (cron job) Links SQL runs through and checks ALL the links.
--Any link that is dead/wrong has isError set to 1 and is thus not displayed
--Every x hours (cron job) Links SQL runs through and checks all the "error" links.
--If the link is ok, then isError is removed and the link is put back into normal status.
--If the link is not ok, the check is logged and nothing changes.
--If after x days (perhaps 2 weeks) and the link is still dead, the link is deleted.

So 3 sections:

i) checking of all links. Dead links set isError to 1
ii) checking of problem links. If ok, is error set back to 0.
iii) time checking, if link dead for x time then removed.

PART 2:

Using pugdog's deadlink.cgi

i) link is reported as DEAD by user.
ii) link does not have isError set to 1 (because user might be wrong!) but the link is added to the next "check problem links setting".

In other words, the use of deadlink.cgi increases the speed that a possible dead link is checked because otherwise it would have to wait until all the links are checked (which if you have a big database is going to be less often).

PART 3:

-Automatic fixing, the "trailing slash situation" is automatically fixed.
-Would there be a way to do the ok, but moved, error automatically?

What do people think? All of 1 would be a cron script i think with 1 extra field added to links. The harder bit will be that all the scripts that use links would need to add a AND isError="0" into the query, still i think this is definitely worth it as I have a lot of links that are currently 404 but don't want to delete them as it might be temporary. This is not however a good way to run a directory.

http://www.ASciFi.com/ - The Science Fiction Portal
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Link automation In reply to
Actually, shouldn't be hard to do, really.

Look at the detailed pages on Girlfriends.com

That could be updated with the <%loop%> variables, such that
if status was 404, skip link. Right now I just report the status
in a cryptic fashion.

I'm just starting to play with the power of the new template
parser, and what it can do. It's a shift in thinking, since
trying to figure out what the code, and what the templates are
doing takes some time.

But, this will make things such as the upload mod, and the
Image Gallery mod much more powerful.

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum
Quote Reply
Re: [padders] Bad Link automation In reply to
In Reply To:
One of the most important things running a directory is maintaing the validity of the links. There are quite a few tools in links SQL but i think some automation would be good. This is what i suggest:

i) An extra field added to each link which is something like isError. This would be default to 0 but if is set to 1 then the link is not displayed at all.

Internal Link Checking:

--Every x days (cron job) Links SQL runs through and checks ALL the links.
--Any link that is dead/wrong has isError set to 1 and is thus not displayed
--Every x hours (cron job) Links SQL runs through and checks all the "error" links.
--If the link is ok, then isError is removed and the link is put back into normal status.
--If the link is not ok, the check is logged and nothing changes.
--If after x days (perhaps 2 weeks) and the link is still dead, the link is deleted.

So 3 sections:

i) checking of all links. Dead links set isError to 1
ii) checking of problem links. If ok, is error set back to 0.
iii) time checking, if link dead for x time then removed.

PART 2:

Using pugdog's deadlink.cgi

i) link is reported as DEAD by user.
ii) link does not have isError set to 1 (because user might be wrong!) but the link is added to the next "check problem links setting".

In other words, the use of deadlink.cgi increases the speed that a possible dead link is checked because otherwise it would have to wait until all the links are checked (which if you have a big database is going to be less often).

PART 3:

-Automatic fixing, the "trailing slash situation" is automatically fixed.
-Would there be a way to do the ok, but moved, error automatically?

What do people think? All of 1 would be a cron script i think with 1 extra field added to links. The harder bit will be that all the scripts that use links would need to add a AND isError="0" into the query, still i think this is definitely worth it as I have a lot of links that are currently 404 but don't want to delete them as it might be temporary. This is not however a good way to run a directory.

http://www.ASciFi.com/ - The Science Fiction Portal

I've been thinking the same thing for a very long time.