Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[ Update ] SearchFeed_Results v1.2

Quote Reply
[ Update ] SearchFeed_Results v1.2
I tried to find the original thread, so I could just update it, but I couldn't seem to find it Frown

This plugin basically is a replacement for the Big_What plugin (which has not functioned for as long as I can remember, due to the fact of BigWhat going under).

The idea behind it is that even if your site has no results, it will grab the results from SearchFeed.com, and provide you with results. which you can show on your search results. It has a built in affiliate ID, which means you can even earn money every time someone clicks a link from their results!

The new version has a bug fix (certain versions of LSQL were not showing the results correctly). I've also added some extra stuff on the installation area, which will check to see if LWP::Simple and XML::Simple is installed (several people compained about problems, which were down to these modules not being present).

If you find any problems with it, please let me know. It is available from the Plugin download area in your LSQL admin panel.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ Update ] SearchFeed_Results v1.2 In reply to
Hi Andy,

I've installed the plugin but get no results at all. Is there anything else I need to do other than install the plugin and set my affiliate ID?

All the best
Shaun
Quote Reply
Re: [qango] [ Update ] SearchFeed_Results v1.2 In reply to
Weird. You don't get any errors at all?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Nope, no errors at all either at the install stage or in the results page.

Actually, I've just done a test on the URL for extracting the XML feed and there are no results displayed when I use my machines IP address:

http://www.searchfeed.com/...amp;ip=217.158.17.25

However, if I use a different IP address there appear to be some results:

http://www.searchfeed.com/...&ip=216.145.2.66

Now that IS strange?

I'll email SearchFeed and ask why this is happening.

Thanks Andy - if I hear something back I'll let you know what they say.

All the best
Shaun
Quote Reply
Very odd. Can you try the attached .pm file? I've removed the IP reference stuff, and that seems to work ok. Not sure why it even needed the IP bit in there to start with Unsure

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Actaully Andy, whilst I'm experimenting with your plugin - is it possible to simply integrate the results into the current search results page above my existing results using <%search_results%>?

Ideally I'd like 3 'Sponsored Links' when there are some local results, and 25 when there are no results.

I seem to remember another thread that said your results were either ON or OFF, and when they are ON there are no local results displayed - is that correct?

All the best
Shaun
Quote Reply
Not with the current method. I'm a little confused as to how LSQL actually orders the database search results (tried looking into how they did it with their PPC plugin, but didn't got very far). Currently, my plugin simply checks to see if *no* results are found. If nothing was found, then it will attempt to find results from SearchFeed. Obviously if nothing is found there either, there is not a lot LSQL or SearchFeed can do about producing some results Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
So, if there are local results your plugin is not triggered?

That would be okay, especially since I'm only trying to capitalise on results where there is nothing found locally :)

I'll see if I can get it working.

All the best
Shaun
Quote Reply
>>>So, if there are local results your plugin is not triggered? <<<

Correct Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Badly checked code =)

Code:
my $self_ip = $ENV{REMOTR_ADDR};

Also Andy, your plugin should not be calling "exit", it should call GT::Plugins->action(STOP) and then return any received arguments.