Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[ NEW PLUGIN ] Google_Search v1

Quote Reply
[ NEW PLUGIN ] Google_Search v1
New Plugin: Google_Search

About:

This plugin will basically let you show Google results, on *your* site. It does this by using the new service offered by Google, called the "Google API". Please note, you are limited to 1,000 queries a day. This is down to limitations on the service (currently, although I believe they will be increasing it soon), as its still in beta (and they don't want the system to overload).

Price: $50
Details: http://www.ultranerds.com/...bin/details/121.html
API Details: http://www.google.com/apis

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ NEW PLUGIN ] Google_Search v1 In reply to
BTW... here is Googles feedback regarding the 1,000 queries per day;

Quote:
Thank you for your note and for your interest in the Google Web APIs. We currently approve requests for increased query limits on a case-by-case basis. If a particular request is approved, there is no charge for the
increased limit.

So, in short... if you need more searches a day, then the chances are, they will approve it.

Hope that helps.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Slight bug fix (was causing problems when SearchLogger was installed).

The current version should be stable :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
What is the difference between this and a script that parse's google's search results? Would it be illegal to produce google's search results on your site without permission? I know links 2.0 has a mod that produces altavista? I wrote a few myself to produce other search engine results, although I no longer use them. I'm pretty sure meta search engines do not have permission, or do they?

Maybe I'm talking about something completely different and I've lost my mind...

hmmmm....

- Jonathan
Quote Reply
Re: [jdgamble] [ NEW PLUGIN ] Google_Search v1 In reply to
Hi. I'm not sure about the other scripts/search engines; but my one is fully legal Smile

http://www.google.com/apis

You have to signup for a "developers key", which you then enter into the plugins settings, and make a couple of *minor* changes to your search box, and voila, you can have up to 1,000 free Google searches on your site :)

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
When you say 1000 free google searches on your site... do you mean the search results are displayed within your site using templates etc...?

If so what happens after the 1000 searches is up?

Did you work with google on this? (just curious)

Intrigued...

- Jonathan
Quote Reply
Re: [jdgamble] [ NEW PLUGIN ] Google_Search v1 In reply to
Quote:
When you say 1000 free google searches on your site... do you mean the search results are displayed within your site using templates etc...?

Exactly :) I would post a demo URL; but the site isn't live yet.

All it does is grab the results (using Net::Google, EXTRA MODULE), and then show them in your search_results.html template (so in short, you can have a select box ... something like "Search Our Site", and "Search Google").

Quote:
If so what happens after the 1000 searches is up?

You have to get in contact with Google, and re-negotiate your limit (they will put it up quite a lot on most sites ... but they have to be careful, as they don't want to overload the system). The post a couple up from this should have a quote from Google themselves :)

Quote:
Did you work with google on this? (just curious)

To an extent :) They gave me a little advice with the Net::Google perl module ... which definatly made my job lot easier :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Is there a demo of this, question I have is does it incorporate google results after your links results or is it a separate query straight from google???

Also, would it be able to do the following:
1. Give a selection to search links or google (already there)
2. Incoporate google results after links results ??
3. Show google results if no links results??
4. In an admin interface, give the option to search google results and click on the link to add to database??

Thanks,

</not a clue>

Last edited by:

Dinky: Sep 1, 2004, 7:52 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Dinky] [ NEW PLUGIN ] Google_Search v1 In reply to
Quote:
Is there a demo of this, question I have is does it incorporate google results after your links results or is it a separate query straight from google???

Unfortunatly I don't have a demo :/ (a site I'm working on is using it... but its not live yet, and the templates are still a bit of a mess).

Basically, if you pass &google=1 in the search query; it will query Google's system, and return the results on your site.

Quote:
2. Incoporate google results after links results ??

Not particually easily.

Quote:
3. Show google results if no links results??

If I had the time to add this.. I would love to :|

Quote:
4. In an admin interface, give the option to search google results and click on the link to add to database??

Afraid not.

Sorry most of the above points are no-goers ... but I'm so busy at the moment... I just physically don't have enough time in the day to add these kind of mods (its hard enough to find time to fix up documentation, and small fixes at the moment Pirate).

BTW... don't forget, with the features you suggested above .... Google *limit* you to 1,000 queries a day. On a high traffic site, with say 2,000 searches a day ... you would soon find all your credits used up, and thus you no longer show any results from Google :|

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi.

They have "Google Adsense for Search" where there is no limit and just like Adsense program, webmasters/siteowners could make money too. For sites already approved for Adsense for content, Adsense for Search is Approved by default. At least you could place your own logo on the Search Results page.

Point 2 of API states this:

Your Google Account and license key entitle you to 1,000 automated queries per day.

License Key is your license key. So does that mean that when your license key exceeds 1000 then you would have to request for increase?

Also:
Google Web APIs are a free beta service and are available for non-commercial use only.

So that means any Commercial Sites, cannot use it?

FAQ8:

8. Is there a limit on the number of results I can receive per query?
Yes. You can retrieve a maximum of 10 results per query, and you cannot access information beyond the 1000th result for any given query.
Thnx
HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Sep 22, 2004, 4:51 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] [ NEW PLUGIN ] Google_Search v1 In reply to
Quote:
License Key is your license key. So does that mean that when your license key exceeds 1000 then you would have to request for increase?

Exactly. I did ask Google about this, and their reply said that you just have to email them, and they will increase your limit, pending approval.

Quote:
So that means any Commercial Sites, cannot use it?

I think the term of "commercial" is a bit mis-leading here. People who have search engines, are in effect "commerical" sites. However, the arn't directly selling products to people... so other's would argue they are not commercial. I think they really just meant the free service isn't available for very highly used, business based sites.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk