Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

"Recommend it" How to put the real static detailed page in the mail

Quote Reply
"Recommend it" How to put the real static detailed page in the mail
Hi,

I use the recommend_it plugin to recommend a link to somebody.

What it send is a jump.cgi to the link. So that visitor never sees my side.

What I want is to send the mail with the static-detailed page of my site...

Thanks,
Ron
Quote Reply
Re: [rsahertian] "Recommend it" How to put the real static detailed page in the mail In reply to
BlushOk, found that it must be done in the template email_recc. But that template doesn't recognize this tag: <%detailed_url%>

Name : <%site_title%>
Titel: <%Title%>
URL : <%detailed_url%>/<%ID%>.html

thanks,
ron
Quote Reply
Re: [rsahertian] "Recommend it" How to put the real static detailed page in the mail In reply to
I think that if it will always be the static link that you want, you could just type it - not sure what the standard detailed pages are but something like this?

http://www.mydomain.com/...ed/<%ID%>.html
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] "Recommend it" How to put the real static detailed page in the mail In reply to
Yes Laura...

thanks!Wink
Quote Reply
The other thing is to use the detailed_page.cgi to send them that page rather than jump.cgi

That way, you can still count hits and such.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] "Recommend it" How to put the real static detailed page in the mail In reply to
Would be good if detailed_page.cgi actually worked pugdog Wink Tried to install it a couple of days ago for a client, and ended up re-writing it :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] "Recommend it" How to put the real static detailed page in the mail In reply to
Or still use jump and count the hits when going to the detailed page:

<%db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?Detailed=<%ID%>

--------------------------------
Privacy Software
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] "Recommend it" How to put the real static detailed page in the mail In reply to
What do you mean "actually worked"

It's been working well on hundreds of sites -- mine and others.

If you had a problem, letting me know would have been helpful. It was an early program, to fix up some problems in page.cgi, and while page.cgi does about 98% of what detail_page.cgi does, it still has its uses.

I have updated versions tracking other kinds of hits, and the logic is used for the advanced search logger as well.

In short -- this is what I meant about feeding back.

If you've "fixed" it, then let me see the fixes, and I'll fix the release version.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [BLOOD] "Recommend it" How to put the real static detailed page in the mail In reply to
Don't think jump.cgi will track hits when using that method though. Could be wrong, as I have never used this method Crazy

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [BLOOD] "Recommend it" How to put the real static detailed page in the mail In reply to
Jump.cgi doesn't differentiate between hits.

detail_page.cgi will keep track of hits to the detail page vs jumps to the site.

It was written to fill a nitch, and actually I kind of hoped that it would have been built into jump.cgi / page.cgi by now, because it's only a few added features, but a lot of duplication.

We needed to track different sorts of hits with the postcards, since there were no "jumps" to any site.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] "Recommend it" How to put the real static detailed page in the mail In reply to
Well, what I mean is that it didn't work on the site I was trying to install it on. I would be happy to send you the modded version. It only tracks hits, and supports;

detail_page.cgi?ID=1234

... incrementing the hits, and also adding to ClickTrack. If you want me to send it over, let me know :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hmm... Yes. Send it. Detail page should track hits, detail_hits, and the version I have now tracks a few other things. I had a new table set up to do that, but the current links I *think* allows you to add types of tracking data to the clicktrack table, without getting neurotic.

Part of my problems, is with my time off, links changed, and I've had to rewrite some logic to modernize it. No point releasing a new plugin with legacy code/logic.

Please leave a PM here.