Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

unique usernames and email names confilct

Quote Reply
unique usernames and email names confilct
My Forums allow users to sign up as well as one of the forums being a mail list archive.

Since the gforum system is automatically registering the list posters email address as the username of an un-registered/un-validated forum account for the one archiving forum, the system creates a conflict when that list poster tries to come directly to the Forums and create an new user account.

The system will error out telling the person signing up that they can't as that email address is already in use.

I assume it's something to do with a 'unique' or something classification of a database field. But how do I change it so even though one account (unregisterd and not useable by anyone, that was created by the system when it pulled down the email list archive messages using the emal address as the account username) , does not conflict or limit someone from signing up with a unique username but now using that same email address as the email address for that unique username account atempting to be created by the user.?

clear as mud right?

It's stopping list posters from creating accounts. I have to manually go in and delete the account that's using the email address as the poster username, so they can create an account using the email address as the email address for the account creation attempt. This leaves posts in the forums that say the user has been deleted.

...lost and confused here.. Please help!
Quote Reply
Re: [ptegler] unique usernames and email names confilct In reply to
How about turning the option off? Setup => Users => signup_allow_duplicate_email. Or, you can probably write a plugin to do the check, but allow for users to have duplicate e-mails only with the list created accounts.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] unique usernames and email names confilct In reply to
??? I don't see that as an option in ANY of the admin panel functions in SETUP.
I'm still running version 1.1.1

It's a config or paramter of a variable in the sql tables that is limiting the field, but I can't for the life of me remeber what is is!

unique, not null, null of something liek that. But which var. I'm not sure.