Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

spellcheck: add words?

Quote Reply
spellcheck: add words?
Is it possible to add words to the spelling checker?

My website is about yoga, and a user just noticed that "yoga" is marked as misspelled, i.e. it's not in the dictionnary....

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] spellcheck: add words? In reply to
Hi,

See:

admin/tools/build_dict.pl

You need to pass it a dictionary list, and an auto correct list. A sample auto correct file can be found in admin/GT/SpellCheck/acorrect.txt. You can find a dictionary file on some unix systems in:

/usr/share/dict/words

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] spellcheck: add words? In reply to
This would be a good feature to integrate with 2.0.0 (add words to site dictionary).
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] spellcheck: add words? In reply to
It'd be a little tough to do, simply because rebuilding the dictionary can take quite a long time.

For reference, here's the wordlist Gossamer Forum is built with. It contains more than the typical unix /usr/share/dict/words file as we've added a few words here and there when a missing word has been encountered. We've also added contractions, such as "can't", "won't", "don't", "shan't", "needn't", etc.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] spellcheck: add words? In reply to
So it will be a challenge <grin>

With the wide variety of communities that Gforum may be deployed in, unique terminology will be a common occurence.

Unless of course you're interested in incorporating my WWII/Aviation terms list in your next build Tongue. Yogi probably has a list, and so on <g>.

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Oct 3, 2002, 1:32 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] spellcheck: add words? In reply to
How does the user addition to dictionary work? Could there be a "site dictionary" that employs that function?
Quote Reply
Thanks for the information. I downloaded the file and used the script to rebuild the dictionary (took only 3 seconds), and now I can add my custom words! Great.

Thanks a lot.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] spellcheck: add words? In reply to
In Reply To:
took only 3 seconds

Oops, maybe I'm wrong - I guess I'll add it in for 2.0 ;)

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Hello Jagerman

is it planned to produce a spellcheck in germen ?
Or can you give me a Tipp like i can create this alone

mfg hoefti
linktobuy Web Directory
Ratgeber Recht
Quote Reply
Re: [hoefti] spellcheck: add words? In reply to
Hi Hoefti,

No, unfortunately we are currently unable to produce german spellcheck functionality (or, for that matter, functionality in any language other than english). The spellcheck algorithm (SOUNDEX) basically classifies words into different numeric sound values. For example, the words "gasser", "geiger", "geyser", "gazer", "goucher", and "gusher" all have the soundex "G260", while "gossamer" has a soundex value of "G256". These values are used to determine like-sounding words.

For example, if you check the spelling of "goser", which isn't a word, but has a soundex value of "G260", you'll get all of the other "G260" words back. Now, our module also goes a little further by sorting out words based on similarity to the misspelt one - "gasser" is closer to "goser" than "geiger" or "gusher".

The values are based on the sounds of certain letters in the english language. If another language has an alternative common pronunciation of a particular letter, this will throw off the algorithm and may result in incorrect results. How accurate the soundex results will be depends on how much like english another language is in terms of the sounds of individual letters.

We're certainly willing to try it out on a trial basis, to see how well it works with other languages. If it turns out to work well with other languages, we'll certainly look at including it in future Gossamer Threads releases.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Hello Jagerman

Thats no Problem.
Its a nice function, but not necessary.

mfg hoefti
linktobuy Web Directory
Ratgeber Recht