Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Users with bouncing e-mail addresses

Quote Reply
Users with bouncing e-mail addresses
I'm curious what other forum owners do when a user's e-mail address begins to bounce?

Do you disable the user, delete the user, let it slide, or what?
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Users with bouncing e-mail addresses In reply to
pm the user, if then no reply, nuke em.
Quote Reply
I think it would be a good idea to have some automatic admin solution to deal with this. I think there is a similar type of function for dead links in LinksSQL that are listed for the admin to take action.

People do leave jobs for new ones (voluntarily or involuntarily) and hence change email for example. And in this case the user could have forgotten to change his/her email. It may be an idea to have a private message issued first, before doing anything as drastic as deleting the user ?

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Users with bouncing e-mail addresses In reply to
Yes, I think people would take it personally if the went to log on and found out they had been removed. I've suggested a dead wood remover which might help a little. Maybe bouncing emails could be tied into this?

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Even if you disable the account, my disabled users still get e-mails when I send them out to the masses. Maybe, if that feature was changed, you could then disable the dead link accounts.

After thinking about it, one could just send a message to selected users - ENABLED ACCOUNTS rather than ALL USERS.
Quote Reply
Re: [shiner] Users with bouncing e-mail addresses In reply to
I'd like to be able to lock the account, and when they try to log in again...have a screen saying they need to submit a new e-mail account for validation as their old one is no longer good.
Quote Reply
Very good point! Essentially, they would receive a new validation email upon submitting the new e-mail address and their status would return to non-validated until the confirmation link was clicked.
Quote Reply
Re: [shiner] Users with bouncing e-mail addresses In reply to
I agree good idea to have a validated email for an activated account and ask them to go through the process again to activate their account...

John
Significant Media