Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

User password

Quote Reply
User password
Hi,

Many of my users have problems with the temporary password system. They probably don't copy exactly the temporary password in the field... I receive each day emails like this: «The temporary password you sent me doesn't work...».

I would like to put instead the real user password in the temporary password email. How can I do this? (The passwords are encrypted in the database...)

Thank you for your help.

François
Quote Reply
Re: [Franco] User password In reply to
Hi,

Since the password is encrypted, you are not able to see it or access it. You can only reset the password to something else. One issue with the temporary password is that it only works for a single login. After the first login, you must go to your profile and change your password.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Franco] User password In reply to
In short, you cannot. The passwords are encrypted using a one-way encryption, which means it is not possible to decrypt them. The problem may be that the users need to change their password once they log in with the temporary one - the temporary password will only work once. Perhaps you could stress that in the lost password e-mail?

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] User password In reply to
Thanks guys!

In Reply To:

Perhaps you could stress that in the lost password e-mail?

My lost password e-mail is in html and has a hidden form for the temporary password. The user have only to click on a button to be automatically logged with the temporary password and redirected to the page where he can change his password. But that doesn't seem to be enought... Unsure

I found a «bug» around the temporary password. Maybe the problem comes from there. Here how to reproduce it.

1- Open a new user account on the user side.
2- Don't validate the account with the email validation.
3- Try to login with the username, but with a wrong password. The script says you that your password is wrong. It doesn't say you that your account is not validated.
4- Go to the page where you can ask for a temporary password and ask one.
5- Try to use the temporary password. The system say you that your account is not validated.
6- Validate your account with the validation email.
7- Try again the temporary password. «Bug»: the temporary password doesn't work, even if the user didn't login with it before.

It could be great at least to simplify the temporary password: use only numbers and plane letters (not capital characters) for example.

Thank you.

François