Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

User Icon/Avatar Problems

Quote Reply
User Icon/Avatar Problems
Hi

I am trying to incorporate this feature for myself for the forum I have setup using the demo software at:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/forums/froums.htm

When I attempt to modify my profile and upload an icon, I get this error:

A system error occured while attempting to upload your image: No such file or directory

As you can see, I have no such problem on this forum.

Regards

Don
Webmaster
Lansing Heritage Website
Quote Reply
Re: [warc1] User Icon/Avatar Problems In reply to
Try creating a "users" directory in your Gossamer Forum images directory. It sounds like that directory is missing for some reason.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] User Icon/Avatar Problems In reply to
Hi Jason

Thanks. That was indeed the problem. In case this is not an isolated issue, I can offer the following information on my setup. I did not use the default "images" directory on my site during the setup. Instead, I created a subdirectory of "images" called "gossamer" to separate these files from the main web image files. The subdirectories of "gossamer" that were created during setup included "fileman", "files", and "toolbars", but not "users".

A similar problem appears to have happened with the cgi-bin subfolders . Under Forum Admin, selecting "Plugins" from the top menu bar produced the following error:

A fatal error has occurred:

GT::Plugins::Manager (24744): Unable to open: /home/audioheritage/www/cgi-bin/admin/Plugins/GForum/Uninstalled () at /home/audioheritage/www/cgi-bin/admin/GT/Plugins/Manager.pm line 932.

Please enable debugging in setup for more details.

A quick check indicated that the "Uninstalled" directory was missing and creating it resolved the error.

Regards

Don
Webmaster
Lansing Heritage Website

Last edited by:

warc1: Jun 30, 2002, 5:18 PM
Quote Reply
Hi Don,

I've seen some servers before that every once in a while (nightly perhaps?) go through the drive and wipe out any empty web directories. Now, don't ask me why, but it has happened. A quick test would tell you if this is the case here - create an empty directory somewhere, and check back a couple days later to see if it's still there.

Also make sure you have an "Installed" directory alongside the Uninstalled one. Uhg... you may be missing attachment directories as well - there should be admin/attachments/post, .../message, and .../temp, each containing directories 0 through 9.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Hi Jason

Again you are bang on. It would appear that my server wiped out all of the blank directoriesFrown Can I just reinstall the application an choose "upgrade" to recreate the directories without loosing my current settings and posts? I assume I'll then have to put a small text file into each blank directory. If this is not possible, could you email me a zip file that has the directory structure of both "images" and "admin"? I fear this is the only way for me to safely recreate the directories without typos or other errors.

Don
Webmaster
Lansing Heritage Website

Last edited by:

warc1: Jun 30, 2002, 8:10 PM
Quote Reply
Yup, reinstalling and doing an upgrade will just copy over the libraries; your settings, posts, users, etc. will not be affected. If you have shell access, you can run this from the admin directory, and then again from the image directory, to put a ".keep" file in any empty directories:

Code:

for i in `find /.../gforum/admin/path /.../gforum/images -type d -empty`; do echo "Don't delete" > $i/.keep; done

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Hi Jason

Thanks for the info. One quick question. What is the FTP Admin path that is requested in the upgrade dialog box? Is this just the path of the directory where I enter my site when I access it using FTP as an admin. In the case of my website at http://www.audioheritage.org this would appear to be:

/home/audioheritage

Is this correct?

Regards

Don
Webmaster
Lansing Heritage Website
Quote Reply
No, it should be the FTP path to the admin panel. So, if you installed in /home/audioheritage/www/cgi-bin/gforum, then it would be /home/audioheritage/www/cgi-bin/gforum/admin. It uses this path to read the config file, then reads all the other paths from it.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads