Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Trunctuate post titles?

Quote Reply
Trunctuate post titles?
Because the 4 icons message icon, expand entire thread icon, expand icon and the folder icon are before the message subject - it does not leave a lot of rook for the subject.

Has anyone tried viewing this on a small monitor? All subjects wrap over to another line, and you end up having a massive ugly page.

Anyway, I hate the icons idea and I would (and have) personally got rid of them all.

However, just a few ideas....

Why don't you trunctuate a post title after x amount of characters? To keep the layout clean?

Why aren't the 4 icons in a colum of their own? Surely this would make formating easier than working out how many white spaces to write in?

Cheers

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Trunctuate post titles? In reply to
In Reply To:
Anyway, I hate the icons idea and I would (and have) personally got rid of them all.

So have/will I. But I think you can have different opinions about the "Collapse/Expand" icons.

On the other hand I don't understand the use of the "First post in thread" icon (how could a post that appears on the forum page not be the first post in the thread). I.e. I think the "First post in thread" icon is completey superfluous.

In Reply To:
Why aren't the 4 icons in a colum of their own? Surely this would make formating easier than working out how many white spaces to write in?
Completely agree on that one too.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins

Last edited by:

yogi: Nov 1, 2001, 2:09 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Trunctuate post titles? In reply to
In Reply To:
On the other hand I don't understand the use of the "First post in thread" icon (how could a post that appears on the forum page not be the first post in the thread). I.e. I think the "First post in thread" icon is completey superfluous.

Not sure, but maybe it's to do with run-ons. If a thread spans more than one page then the top message will not be the beginning of the thread.

But then, maybe this icon should only appear for pages that do span?

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Not sure, but maybe it's to do with run-ons. If a thread spans more than one page then the top message will not be the beginning of the thread.
No, I don't think so. Actually the icon only appears on the overview page (i.e. the page with all the titles of the threads) and not on the actual page where you view the posts.

Ohh, I guess we have to see this icon in relation to the other icons, like "Reply post" (which we never see, because we don't use the expand/collapse icons on the overview page...)

Anyway, I think the "First Post in Thread" icon should only appear when it makes sense, i.e. when there are other posts (which are not first posts) that are visible in the same environment.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Trunctuate post titles? In reply to
Yes. But I still think there should be no icons there, the subject line font decreased or the subject truncuated to fit the colum, and if there has to be icons, put them in colums.

Cheers

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
As with Gossamer Mail email titles, or Links SQL, etc, you can just write a globals to do such a thing. Most forums don't truncate the amount of characters, though it might be a nice option to add, since it would make it easy for any admin to do so (and isn't very hard, nor cpu intensive to add).

Adrian