Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Read new help

Quote Reply
Read new help
My users are asking for a feature to list only new posts-- I have no idea how this script marks things read or not, anyone care to give me a pointer or two on how to handle the plugin?

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Re: [ellipsiiis] Read new help In reply to
Hi,

Can you expand a bit on how this would work? On the message list does it only show new threads? Or threads with new posts? When you are viewing a message, do you see all posts, or only new ones (i.e. might be gaps in the thread).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Read new help In reply to
No, not that complicated-- just like somewhere there would be a link to "Read new messages" and it would link to a function that shows all unread threads from every forum. The DCforum one that I'm used to lists threads that are new or have new posts divided by forum. I've attached screen shots of theirs so you get an idea.

While I'm at it, but kind of on the same topic, a user has requested that posts not be marked read unless they manually click the mark link. It'd be easy enough to define their preference in the user profiles, but again, I can't figure out how read new works (it seems some of it is in the database and some is in a cookie?)

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Re: [ellipsiiis] Read new help In reply to
Ah, kind of like:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_time=last

Or something different? As for mark read, do you mean having a button beside each post that a user would have to explicitly click in order to mark the thread as read? Doesn't seem like that would be a good idea.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
yep something like that for the recent posts ... be nice since vB has it and it's handy at times.
Angelic

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
No, I'm just looking for a way to have posts not marked at all based on the user's profile. The user can click on the links already there in each forum or in the main category listing when they do want to mark them. Again, I switched from DCForum and that's how they do it, so users like what they're used to even if it doesn't make as much sense :)

Thanks for the link, that's a lot easier than writing a plugin :) In a future version (or maybe it exists now and I don't know) would it be possible to have a "sort by" option to sort by user, forum, whatever?

Realiiity.com Forums

Last edited by:

ellipsiiis: Feb 19, 2002, 9:44 AM