Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Re-ordering Posts in Forums

Quote Reply
Re-ordering Posts in Forums
I'm setting up a new forum on a website and have added an option to sort the threads by the date they are created, not by the date of their last post. As of now, it's just an option. I'd like it to be the default sort (with 'date of last post' as the option), but can't find where to make that change. Is it a default function in the Admin panel?

Also, I'm trying to give a user access to the Admin panel and it's not working. Under "Setup," "Admin Password" I've added their username (all lowercase) and 10 letter password (all lower case), but when I go to test it I cannot log in.

I love your forums and believe our users are going to love them too! Thanks for any tips you can give. Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Violet] Re-ordering Posts in Forums In reply to
The forum posts sorting is rarely changed, so there isn't an option to change it. One way to change it would be to change the forum link to include the sorting.

For the admin panel password issue, if you send me your admin panel url, username/password and the username and password you're having problems with, I can take a look at it for you.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Re-ordering Posts in Forums In reply to
Thanks for the quick reply, brewt. I solved the Admin Panel access problem (the website owner had to do it Crazy), and am still trying to solve making the 'sort by creation' the default. I haven't given up yet!

Also, I've enabled both "markup_allow_url" and "markup_shorten_urls" in the Admin Panel, but the link option isn't working in Advanced Editor mode.

I highlight the text I want in the link, click on the link icon and get the "Hyperlink" box, but when I paste the URL in the space provided and hit "OK," nothing happens. What have I missed. Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Violet] Re-ordering Posts in Forums In reply to
For the forum sorting, open the category_list.html template and search for "forum=" and just before the <%hidden_query%>, you can put in your extra sorting (eg. sb=post_time;so=DESC).

As for the url problem, are you getting any javascript errors? Does it work when you do the same on our forum?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Link test In reply to
Link test.

Edited to add... yes, the function works fine here. When I try on our board, I get the same box to enter the url. When I highlight the text I want to convert to a link and enter the url, the box just goes away (same as here) but there's no link and no error message.

Btw, we got the 'sort by creation' to work!! Thanks a million! However, it doesn't work when the "Jump to Forum" opiton is used. Any hints you can offer for that one? (The Jump to Forum option is brilliant, btw. Smile).

-- Violet

Last edited by:

Violet: Jan 14, 2007, 12:27 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Violet] Link test In reply to
If you send me a link to your forum, I can take a look at it.

For the jump to forum, it looks like that list is generated in code, so it either requires a plugin or to change that bit of code. You can edit admin/GForum/Forum.pm, around line 938:
Code:
$return .= qq{<option value="category=$_->{cat_id}">} . ('&nbsp;' x (4 * $_->{cat_depth})) . qq{$_->{cat_name}</option>\n};
Code:
$return .= qq{<option value="category=$_->{cat_id};sb=foo;so=DESC">} . ('&nbsp;' x (4 * $_->{cat_depth})) . qq{$_->{cat_name}</option>\n};

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Link test In reply to
Once again, thanks brewt!!! You rock! Laugh

I tried copying the code you suggested into the forum.pm file but it didn't work. No change occured from the current operation of the 'Jump to Forum.' I also tried changing it from Descending to Ascending, but nothing changed.

Just curious as to if the foo variable was the correct one to use?

Oh, and I PMd you a link to our forum as it's not public quite yet. Smile Thanks for the offer of help!
Quote Reply
Re: [Violet] Link test In reply to
No, "foo" should be the column you're sorting by (which I believe is post_time).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Link test In reply to
Quote:
No, "foo" should be the column you're sorting by (which I believe is post_time).

LOLOL! Hehe, I did eventually figure that out. Blush

It didn't quite work, but thanks to your help via PM, it's now sweet!!

Once the forum goes live, I'd be happy to link to it here in case anyone would like to have a look.