Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

much slower

Quote Reply
much slower
I must say this recent installation of the forum (not www threads but the latest version installed a couple of week ago) is much slower. It takes quite a few second to bring up a thread, much longer compared to the earlier version and is much slower compared to other boards.
Quote Reply
Re: [socrates] much slower In reply to
Agree, I am a WWWThreads customer and am not going to continue with InfoPop based on their initial attitude towards customers and am trying to like this board but it is soooooo slow.

It looks very nice and Alex has always done a solid job but the speed difference is just way to much to switch right now.
Quote Reply
Re: [Dilbert] much slower In reply to
there are rumors of a 900% speed increase, also let's not forget that technically 0.9.4 is more or less a beta.

Hang in there guys they'll get to the speed problem.

Smile

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] much slower In reply to
Right, I read that as wellCool

I really like this but will have a tough time moving from PHP/MySQL to a Perl version. If there was a PHP version here it would ne a no-brainer!
Quote Reply
Funny, GT forum seems as fast or faster than the old forum. And this is in Montana, where the information superhighway turns into a two track dirt road!Wink

I also prefer perl over php for the simple reason all the code is not immediately viewable. Some of the php sites seem to have a cottage industry built around hacking them up.

--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading

Last edited by:

vanderen: Oct 20, 2001, 7:50 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [vanderen] much slower In reply to
I thought it was my connection as it was so slow but ran a tracert no problem.

I'm sure it will be fixed to where it is up to speed.
Quote Reply
hm... I've never had any slowdowns (aside from when their main server crashed). still breezing through quite fine on my end.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] much slower In reply to
I have to wonder where these "rumors" came from.

Actually, let me turn fact into fiction: During a good chunk of the last week, I've spent a lot of time reorganizing code and optimizing the code. The main page got a speed increase of about 400-500%, and the slowest page - viewing a forum in fully expanded mode - received the rumored 900% speed increase. Also, due to a change in the template parser, compression of pages is now possible, which shrinks the HTML sent by about 10-15%. Even using compression, the template parser is around 20-30% faster than it used to be.

Either tomorrow or Monday morning, I'll update the site to the new code. Hopefully Monday will see the release of 0.9.5 (still beta).

As you can see, I've been a little busy this week Wink

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] much slower In reply to
Quote:
I have to wonder where these "rumors" came from.

Alex Tongue