Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Quoting Text

Quote Reply
Quoting Text
I really do dislike the way that the forum quotes text. I guess I'm used to using Eudora and Netscape as my mail client for the last 8 years, and I'm used to quotation text beginning with >.

Check out Google groups for a good example of what I mean. They layout messages well and their quotation works a treat.

I'll just write this out again as a quote:

> Check out Google groups for a good example of what I
> mean. They layout messages well and their quotation works
> a treat.

I really like the simple look of the above, and I don't understand the reason behind the way text is quoted at the moment. Ah well. I guess I can change this in the admin? But it would be nice if this was hard coded in to treat line breaks and what not.

And another thing, can I have a white background to the message window. I've been staring at my monitor for a good 8 hours now, and my eyes really hurt. Green doesn't help.

Ugh. It's been a bad today :-\

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Quoting Text In reply to
And green in the composing window, and the blue in the message display window really confuses me. See above :-\

- wil
Quote Reply
Hi Wil,

That's a little difficult to do, as you then need to wrap the text at some length. What if it's code a person is quoting? The wrap may mess it up. Also, picking an appropriate length is hard, as you have to worry about monitor size, resolution, font size, etc. Nothing worse then seeing:

> This is a quote to some text, that does
not wrap
> properly, I hate seeing emails, like
this,
> and wouldn't want a forum like it. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Quoting Text In reply to
Hi Alex

Yeah, I figured that this is why a lot of BB are running away from this idea. I just find the current code really ugly. I suppose it would be rather tricky to hack the code to set a valid line length and quote appropriately.

You're right - it's best to forget this option entirely for code. Small chunks of quoted text would be worth it, IMO. I'll try and see what I can do, and let you know...

Cheers

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Quoting Text In reply to
Alex

Have you had a look at [url=http://groups.google.com]Google Groups[/url] recently? They quote text in this way, and it workes really really well. In fact, a lot can be picked up from the way they organise things. I know it's usenet, but they do a very good job with their layout and navigation, IMO.

Cheers

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
my 2 cents.

the > would make cutting and pasting difficult.

errrr ... that is if you use the forum like GT does. Actually I don't mind how it's being done right now.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Quoting Text In reply to
Yes I think it's fine as it is too.

Using > would really mess up code snippets.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 30, 2001, 6:13 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Quoting Text In reply to
That's why I said it should not be used for Code Snippets.

- wil