Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Post Replies Restriction

Quote Reply
Post Replies Restriction
Hi-

Is it possible to set a forum up such that only certain users that I designate are able to make replies to a post?

Basically, I want to set up a forum where any user can make a post for specific services they require, but I only want subscribing companies/organizations to be able to reply to the posts.

I wasn't sure if Gossamer Forum would allow this type of setup. Does anyone know about this?

-Frank
Quote Reply
Re: [franks] Post Replies Restriction In reply to
Hi,

No, I'm afraid not. There is Read access, Read/Reply access and Read/Reply/Post access. What you need is Read/Post access. This generally is not a good idea, as if someone can't reply to a message but can post, they will just start a new thread.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Post Replies Restriction In reply to
I understand what you mean about some people who might start a new thread if they can't reply to a post, but would it be a big modification to allow for Read/Post access for all users, and adding reply access only for users designated that way by the administrator?

-Frank
Quote Reply
Re: [franks] Post Replies Restriction In reply to
Hi,

What I mean is if you allow people to post a thread, but not reply to a thread, then if a user wants to reply, they will just post a new thread instead. This will result in a topics that should be in a single thread, being all mixedup.

I don't think it would be an easy change though.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Post Replies Restriction In reply to
Hi Alex,

Thanks very much for your help. I do understand what you mean about people starting new threads because they can't reply. I think that we can control that fairly well as most of users wouldn't have a big interest in trying to make a reply, but if it's too big of a modification to give only certain designated users the permission to reply, I guess that's the way it goes...Thanks again for your input. Smile

--Frank