Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

MyISAM to INNODB

Quote Reply
MyISAM to INNODB
Hi guys,

Question: Can I just change from MyISAM to InnoDB without problems? has GForum already been tested with InnoDB? what about performance, has anyone benched GForum MyISAM vs InnoDB perfornance? would love to hear about it
Quote Reply
Re: [jaltuve] MyISAM to INNODB In reply to
You shouldn't have any problem - MySQL's query support doesn't change, just the internals. One downside to InnoDB is that it takes up quite a bit more disk space, but the advantage of row-level locking (as opposed to locking the entire table) can be quite significant, especially for busy databases.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] MyISAM to INNODB In reply to
Hi Jason,

Do I have to convert all tables to InnoDB? or just the Post table will suffice? I guess mixing InnoDB tables with MyISAM will give me the most benefit. I would convert only the Post and User tables but would love to hear from you regarding what tables are the most busy in terms of updates/inserts under heavy/concurrent loads.
Quote Reply
Re: [jaltuve] MyISAM to INNODB In reply to
PostView and Online are also two heavily accessed tables, though both are fairly small. The Post_tree and PostNew tables might also be good candidates. If using the INTERNAL indexing scheme, converting the gforum_Post_Score_List and gforum_Post_Word_List tables might also be beneficial. I'm not sure how InnoDB tables affect _light_ traffic loads, so how much you convert would probably depend on that.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com