Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Archive?
Hi

How does GForum handle old posts? Does the forum automaticaly prune messages older than x amount of days, or does it do it when the databse reaches a specific limit?

What about archiving? Does it archive old messages?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Archive? In reply to
Hi,

You can click on "Keep" to mark a message as kept. Then in the admin, you can delete all messages older then n days, and it will remove all messages except those marked kept.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Archive? In reply to
Great. Can this be automated?

- wil
Quote Reply
Nothing built in, but with all our programs you can just pass the query string as an option and the program will run normally. A cron job that ran:

/path/to/admin.cgi 'do=page;page=posts_delete_old.html;delete_old_posts=1;num_days=10;confirm=1'

would remove all posts greater then 10 days old. This is untested, but should work, so try it out on a test installation first. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Archive? In reply to
Great. Thanks. Hm, I take it that being able to do this doesn't compromise security? If you knew someone had an installation of GForum couldn't you gain access to some administrative features this way?

- wil
Quote Reply
>>If you knew someone had an installation of GForum couldn't you gain access to some administrative features this way?
<<

Yeah if you know how to crack basic authentication Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Archive? In reply to
If you were on a shared server (an insecure one at that) then you could guess (preety simple) someone's directory path to their GForum setup and do anything you want.

Or write a hack that would do it for you, and go in undr the document root so you wouldn't pass the web server's authentication?

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Jan 21, 2002, 11:42 AM
Quote Reply
Servers don't work like that...think "ownership".

If that was the case then every shared server would have major security issues, however in reality file ownership and permissions don't allow it.
Quote Reply
Yes, but that's the main problem on most badly configured servers. File permissions and ownership. On my current shared host, I can cdup all the way up to the / root directory. View people's mailboxes and all. Preety shocking actually :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
>>On my current shared host, I can cdup all the way up to the / root directory.<<

You can do that on most servers without root access.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 21, 2002, 12:00 PM
Quote Reply
I know. Worrying though, isn't it?! Just one little directory or one little file that hasn't got it's permissions sorted and you're away...

- wil