Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

A new concern! Global bans of certain URL's to prevent registration.

Quote Reply
A new concern! Global bans of certain URL's to prevent registration.
We do not want people to log in using throw-away email accounts, i.e. hotmail.com, email.com, etc.

We compiled an extensive list and I placed it in the Template>Setup:User Settings section in the banned_email box. They show up under the Users>Ban List template as:
*@gowebway.com
*@ramlink.net
*@zoomnet.net
*@pipeline.com
*@adoption.com
Of course there are 500 or more in the list.

I just tried to log in using @hotmail.com as the registration email and it let me do it! Have I done something wrong or not set a switch somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for your responses! I'm at wit's end and still trying to go live today.

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Re: [Boomer] A new concern! Global bans of certain URL's to prevent registration. In reply to
Hello Boomer

format to input banned email looks like this

*gowebway.com
*ramlink.net
*zoomnet.net
*pipeline.com
*adoption.com

mfg hoefti
linktobuy Web Directory
Ratgeber Recht
Quote Reply
Re: [hoefti] A new concern! Global bans of certain URL's to prevent registration. In reply to
Yikes! Now I have to remove all those "@"'s. Well, I guess I didn't have anything better to do today!Crazy

Thanks

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Re: [Boomer] A new concern! Global bans of certain URL's to prevent registration. In reply to
Hi,

Quote:
I just tried to log in using @hotmail.com

But this isn't really a concern is it? If you have email validation turned on, there's no way that @hotmail.com is going to get validated.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] A new concern! Global bans of certain URL's to prevent registration. In reply to
We just had a user register and log in using Yahoo ...

I am tearing what little hair I have out in handfulls!

I tried registering using a hotmail account and a mail.com account, both of which are on my list, and I was able to register, validate and log in!

Any thoughts?

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner

Last edited by:

Boomer: Sep 14, 2002, 1:38 PM
Quote Reply
I just tried this on my forum, and I did not have the problems you have (i.e. I banned

*hotmail.com

and I was not able to register as foo@hotmail.com.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] A new concern! Global bans of certain URL's to prevent registration. In reply to
In Reply To:
I just tried this on my forum, and I did not have the problems you have (i.e. I banned

*hotmail.com

and I was not able to register as foo@hotmail.com.

I just tried to register at mine as foo@hotmail.com and was able to do it. (no, I didn't use tha for my email in the registration, but another hotmail address)

Is It possible I entered this list in the wrong place? I've only seen one place to do it and the User Templete which List Bans and Edit Bans shows the list correctly.

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
You have to enter the list in "Setup -> User -> banned_email'.

Quote:
Is It possible I entered this list in the wrong place? I've only seen one place to do it and the User Templete which List Bans and Edit Bans shows the list correctly.

The list bans and edit bans options are something completely different, they are used to ban certain domains/IP addresses from the entire forum. What you want to do is just ban email certain email addresses for people who subscribe. So it might be that you have entered the list in the wrong place. Can you double-check?

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] A new concern! Global bans of certain URL's to prevent registration. In reply to
Thaks much. It looks like I did enter it in the Users section rather than the Setup template. It looks like it works now!

I hope!

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner