Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

"did not return a hash reference" error

Quote Reply
"did not return a hash reference" error
Hello, I've been testing Gossamer Threads for a couple of weeks, and everything has been running fine up until now (great program by the way!).

The last time I visited the forum, I was able to login, but the first time I tried to view a post I received an Internal Server Error. Since then, each time I try to view anything in the forum (including Admin), I receive the same Internal Server Error.

By looking at my error logs, here is what it says:

/cgi-bin/forum/admin/GForum/Config/Data.pm' did not return a hash reference. at /cgi-bin/forum/admin/GForum.pm line 92.

I know very little about Perl, but I was able to trace the error to the /GT/Config.pm _load_data subroutine. My problem is triggering the error 'NOT_HASH' and causing the Internal Server Error.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be and how to fix it? I haven't been messing around with any of the files, and the only activity has been light posting. Thanks in advance for any help!
Quote Reply
Re: [thehog] "did not return a hash reference" error In reply to
Take a look at the admin/GForum/Config/Data.pm file - it sounds like it's corrupt (possibly empty). Also, it could be admin/templates/default/language.txt, or admin/templates/default/local/language.txt causing the error.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] "did not return a hash reference" error In reply to
Thanks for your quick help Jagerman!

Yup, it's empty allright. I also just found out that I inadvertently surpassed my disk quota with my host, which probably has something to do with the initial problem. Now that the disk quota issue is fixed, do you have an idea how I can repair this data.pm file?

Thanks again for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: [thehog] "did not return a hash reference" error In reply to
Unfortunately, you're going to have to reinstall. Note, however, that none of the forum information itself will be lost (be sure to select the option to NOT overwrite the tables when doing the SQL part of the setup - it should be selected by default). You will, however, have lost most of the things configured through the admin panel, so you'll probably want to run through the Setup options again once installed to make sure everything is okay.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Well, that sucks, but at least I know what to do now. Thanks again for the help!
Quote Reply
i have the same problem :-((
is reinstalling the only solution??
uploading the original Data.pm doesn'1 work ;-/

thanx for help
marcus
Quote Reply
Re: [qwer609060] "did not return a hash reference" error In reply to
You can upload the original, but first you have to make some changes. Specifically, you need to set the appropriate values for the following entries in the file: 'admin_email', 'admin_root_path', 'admin_root_url', 'cgi_root_path', 'cgi_root_url', 'fileman_root_path' (should be the same as the admin_path), 'image_path', 'image_url', 'message_attachment_directory', 'post_attachment_directory', 'temp_attachment_directory', and 'reg_number' (your registration number).

Significantly easier, I think, than editing all of the above is to simple do the installation again. Don't worry, as long as you make sure that you do not choose the option to recreate the database tables, all your forums, posts, users, etc. and any customized templates done through the template editor will still be there.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads