Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Development, Plugins and Globals :

KarmaPolice question

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
KarmaPolice question
I have a question about how the KarmaPolice forum works. Specifically the "Karma Forums" link in the Plugins admin. You get a drop-down list of the forums to select for karma voting. When I choose some forums and hit update I assume that this enables those forums for karma voting, but when the list reloads it doesn't give you any indication of which are active and which aren't. Also, if there is a way to turn off karma voting for a forum?

thanks,
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Re: [mcoyne] KarmaPolice question In reply to
>>
When I choose some forums and hit update I assume that this enables those forums for karma voting, but when the list reloads it doesn't give you any indication of which are active and which aren't.
<<

Hmmm it should select them if karma is on. I'll go and check.

>>
Also, if there is a way to turn off karma voting for a forum?
<<

You answered that yourself above :) ...the forums you select on the Karma Forums page will allow voting, the others won't.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jun 8, 2002, 11:32 AM
Quote Reply
Hmm I just did a quick check and it highlights any forums with karma on, on my copy.

Attached is a screenshot.

Is it not doing that at all?....have you tried leaving the Karma Forums page and then going back to it and see if they then highlight?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] KarmaPolice question In reply to
I've attached my own screenshot. This is after selecting about half of the forums in the list, clicked update, left and come back, and nothing is selected I've tried it with both Netscape 4.7 and IE5 on my PC and get the same thing.

My second question was because I couldn't figure out how to turn off KarmaPolice because nothing appeared to be selected Crazy

Checking the forums and my selections don't appear to be taking. Posts just show "no karma" where I put in the template changes. I checked the forums table in the database and the new forums_karma variable has zero for all forums (I assume this means it's off).

Any ideas?

Possible suggestion: add something more to the Karma Forums select list to help distinguish forums. For example, I have several forums named "Discussion", but in different categories. They all show up as "Discussion" in the Karma select list.
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
As they are all showing 0 it looks like the update isn't taking.

Would I be able to get ftp access and access to your admin panel to take a look?

Thanks for the suggestion....I'll look at splitting the forums into their categories.
Quote Reply
I see you're running the Search Logger plugin, are you able to purge old material with it? When I had it installed you could never purge any material.
Quote Reply
Re: [Army Air Forces] KarmaPolice question In reply to
Is this related to the karma plugin?

Last edited by:

Paul: Jun 9, 2002, 5:25 PM
Quote Reply
No, I just saw in his screen shot that he was running it. I'd like to run it...but since it would never purge old results I unistalled it.
Quote Reply
That wasn't intended as it sounded.

I thought you meant the karma plugin was causing the error with the other plugin which is why I asked if it was related.
Quote Reply
Gotcha, no not related.

Last edited by:

Army Air Forces: Jun 9, 2002, 3:14 PM
Quote Reply
I should have tried this before... I uninstalled the plugin and then reinstalled and it seems to work fine now. When I initially tried to install it threw a couple of permission errors during the install. I fixed the files it was complaining about and then tried to run install again. It installed, but obviously something got muxed.

Uninstalling and installing over fixed whatever it was.
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I see you're running the Search Logger plugin, are you able to purge old material with it? When I had it installed you could never purge any material.

To be honest, I had never tried it. Just did and it did not purge any messages.

Perhaps the forum gods could move the part of this thread related to SearchLogger to it's own thread?
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
New problem...

When I try to click on the plus or minus karma links for a post it returns a page with:
Code:
Home: Permission Denied
Oops! You are not authorized to view that page.

The URL it tries to follow is something like this:
Code:
.../gforum.cgi?do=karma_subtract&post_id=102&forum_id=4

What are the rules on being able to make a karma vote? Where is it trying to go when you make the vote?

thanks,
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Hi Paul,

I installed the Karma plugin, did the template mods, assigned a forum to be Karma controlled then I went in to Karma it up and down and it came back with a
Permission Denied
Oops! You are not authorized to view that page.

I uninstalled the plugin completely then reinstalled it and went through the same steps as above. Then I selected the + and it again came back with the same error.

Any ideas?

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Jun 9, 2002, 9:57 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] KarmaPolice question In reply to
This might have something to do with the permission of the action. I had a similar thing in the Poll plugin, and I needed to remove the min_forum_permission key from the action definition.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Hi,

Are you on NT?
Quote Reply
When you install the plugin it should install some new functions into ConfigData.pm, prefixed with karma_

Can you check they exist?

If the functions are there then try removing the min_forum_permission as Yogi suggested.

I'll update the plugin in the download area if thats what it turns out to be.
Quote Reply
They are there.

I am not sure where the code is located that Yogi was talking about.
Quote Reply
is it in this area and what needs to be changed?

'karma_add' => {
'action' => 'function',
'customizable' => {
'description' => '1',
'min_user_status' => '1',
'page' => '1',
'user_groups' => '1'
},
'description' => 'Add Karma',
'function' => 'Plugins::GForum::KarmaPolice::karma_add',
'hidden' => '1',
'min_forum_permission' => '3'
},
'karma_subtract' => {
'action' => 'function',
'customizable' => {
'description' => '1',
'min_user_status' => '1',
'page' => '1',
'user_groups' => '1'
},
'description' => 'Subtract Karma',
'function' => 'Plugins::GForum::KarmaPolice::karma_subtract',
'hidden' => '1',
'min_forum_permission' => '3'
Quote Reply
Yeah those red bits look like they need removing.
Quote Reply
Ok. I removed those lines and the access was granted.

It allowed my to Karma it up and the result was the (+) (-) turned to 0 (-).

Is that correct?
Quote Reply
I'm having problems as well. When I give something karma, it doesn't take away the link (ie I did - and - is still there when I reload) I click - again and obviously it gives an error. The values are being stored in the database however.

I also set the karma change to 1 instead of 5 to test it, and the post I voted on didn't disappear from the listing.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
>>
It allowed my to Karma it up and the result was the (+) (-) turned to 0 (-).

Is that correct?
<<

Yes thats correct to stop multiple votes.
Quote Reply
Re: [ellipsiiis] KarmaPolice question In reply to
>>
When I give something karma, it doesn't take away the link (ie I did - and - is still there when I reload) I click - again and obviously it gives an error. The values are being stored in the database however.
<<

What code did you add to the template?

>>
I also set the karma change to 1 instead of 5 to test it, and the post I voted on didn't disappear from the listing.
<<

Setting it to one means that the second vote will change the karma level...if you only want one post to change it then set it to 0. (Its a bit misleading so I may update the plugin).

Last edited by:

Paul: Jun 10, 2002, 11:37 AM
Quote Reply
Cool!

I will play with it a bit now.

Thanks Paul!
> >