Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Pre Sales :

One database - many tables?

Quote Reply
One database - many tables?
Hi,

I'm looking to buy DBManSQL for a design client who wants to setup a few searchable databases on their website.

They are a vehicle dismantler and want to offer a list of new and recycled auto parts, and also display their latest damaged repairable salvage vehicles along with photos.

I have a couple of questions:

1) They only have one SQL database available, but I assume I can create separate tables for each section of their site?

2) Can I use different templates for each table, i.e. different 'look' for parts and salvage?

3) In the salvage section they want to include a series of photo's with each vehicle. The template should have one LARGE photo, with thumbnails of the others. When you click a thumbnail the template should refresh and replace the LARGE photo with the one from the thumbnail - can this be done?

4) They export the parts data to flat-file text files - can these files be used to update the tables?

5) I'd like to have an overall 'Admin' facility with all features, and 'sub-users' who can add/remove records - can I do this?

Any help appreciated.

All the best
Shaun
Quote Reply
Re: [qango] One database - many tables? In reply to
Hi Shaun,

I would say that DBMan SQL can handle all your cases. Have a look at our demo at:

http://gossamer-threads.com/...s/dbman-sql/demo.htm

If you have any question, please feel free to contact us.

TheStone.

B.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Here's a few more details:

1. Yes, DBMan SQL needs only one MySQL database (or MSSQL/Oracle/Postgres). Each table that you manage inside of DBMan SQL is inside of the same system database.

2. Yes, if you look in the admin, and click on a table and then click on Setup, you can specify what template set to use by default for that table.

3. Yes, but out of the box it won't automatically create thumbnails for you. You'd need two columns, Thumbnail, and FullSize to store the two images.

4. Yes, in the admin, there is an import from flat file ability.

5. Yes, you can create users with add, remove, modify, search or admin ability. You can also update it so that modify/delete is only valid for records that a user owns.

Hope that helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] One database - many tables? In reply to
Thanks for the info TheStone and Alex - I was pretty confident DBManSQL was the ideal solution, but just thought I'd double-check first before pitching it to my client.

Now I've just got to sell the idea to him and get the order ... Smile

All the best
Shaun
Quote Reply
Hi,

Just curious...did you buy DBMan-sql and how are your experiences with it? Is it simple to set up? And, if you did buy it, can i see some of your work online?

Thanks in advance,

Gerben

(newbe!)Wink