Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Discussion :

oracle installation problems

Quote Reply
oracle installation problems
I'm new to Oracle, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I'm having installation problems with DbMan SQL on an Oracle server.

With other scripts, it's enough for me to specify "localhost" as server, and user and pw for the oracle db in order to make a connection to the database.

Trying to install DbMan SQL, however, I get the following error:

GT::SQL::Table (159630): The environment variable ORACLE_HOME is not defined. It must be defined for the script to connect properly. at /u/www/istb/cgi-bin/dbmansql/admin/GT/SQL.pm line 199."

If I open SQL.pm and add the environment variable manually, I get the following error message:

"Error: Could not connect to database. Reason: Can't connect using this syntax without specifying a HOST and a SID."

As I said, I'm new to Oracle, and simply don't know what kind of information the script is expecting; nor do there seem to be any fields on the initial setup form which would allow to specify any such data.

Many thanks in advance,

kellner
Quote Reply
Re: [kellner] oracle installation problems In reply to
Hi,

Add:

SetEnv ORACLE_HOME /path/to/orahome

in your httpd.conf. This allows you to connect with any perl script using DBI.

And replace admin/Dbsql/SQL.pm on your server with the attached file.

TheStone.

B.

Last edited by:

TheStone: Aug 6, 2002, 3:03 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [TheStone] oracle installation problems In reply to
Thanks for the reply; I guess the environment variable can also be defined in a .htaccess-file (I don't have permissions to edit httpd.conf on the server).

Also, am I missing something or is there actually, er, no attached file to this post?

Best regards,
kellner
Quote Reply
oops,... here is the attached file

B.
Quote Reply
Thanks. I followed your directions, but the second error still persists:

"Error: Could not connect to database. Reason: Can't connect using this syntax without specifying a HOST and a SID"

This is when I enter "localhost" as the host, when I enter no database name, and enter database user and password as required. I've never had to enter a database name before connecting to the Oracle db; is DBMan SQL designed in such a way that I have to?

Thanks,
kellner
Quote Reply
You have to enter the database name, user and password on the SQL Server Setting screen. By the way, I just want to remind you that the ORACLE_HOME must be set in your httpf.conf as:

SetEnv ORACLE_HOME /path/to/orahome

You might ask the server administrator to do it for you if you do not have the root access.

TheStone.

B.
Quote Reply
Thanks, I did get the errors resolved asking my sysadmin for the missing information (and realizing that "database name" is, in Oracle terms, the SID).

The setup process worked fine, even though script calls appear unusually slow at the moment (the ordinary dbman installation running on the same server is much faster). But anyway, I'll start familiarizing myself with the SQL version now and hope it will speed up eventualle :)

Thanks again,
kellner