Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Discussion :

DBMan to DBMan SQL

Quote Reply
DBMan to DBMan SQL
So, I've downloaded DBMan and I've got it working just fine. I've tailored the html pages and all looks well. I'm planning to use the database to store physical properties of chemicals. Each record will have over 100 fields so I anticipate the database getting rather large, very quickly. I realize that I'll quickly have to "drop-in" DBMan SQL...thus my rather simple questions. Is DBMan SQL a SQL database itself? What is will be required by my ISP to run this? Finally, and most importantly, can the data from DBMan be placed directly into DBMan SQL or should I wait and set up DBMan SQL before I start populating? I'm looking forward to some helpful hints.

Thanks,

Chris

Quote Reply
Re: DBMan to DBMan SQL In reply to
In Reply To:
Is DBMan SQL a SQL database itself?
Yes....

In Reply To:
What is will be required by my ISP to run this?
* MySQL, MSQL, or ODBC-DSN (preferably MySQL)
* DBI

In Reply To:
Finally, and most importantly, can the data from DBMan be placed directly into DBMan SQL or should I wait and set up DBMan SQL before I start populating?
DBMAN SQL comes with a upgrade script that will move your data from the flat file (.db) into your MySQL tables.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
hello Smile
I have DBMan and this is the first time i worked with perl.
My DBMan is almost finished and i also would like to use the DBMan SQL.because i already know that the data will be bigger than 1 Mb... BUT i never used SQL. I am complete newbie is this.(just like perl ,but DBMan is easy to setup)
So my question is:
How hard is it to change DBMan in DBMan SQL. Do i really have to know a lot, or is the programm as easy as DBMan.
can somebody tell me this?

greetings,
[removed by request]
The Netherlands (Europe)
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Is DBMan SQL a SQL database itself?

Yes....
Actually, it isn't. =) DBMan SQL is an interface to an SQL database. Mysql, MS SQL, Oracle are SQL databases. DBMan SQL just provides a frontend interface to the SQL database.

Just semantics, but hey. =)

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
perhaps a stupid question?
What is the difference between sql and mysql?

greetings,
[removed by request]
The Netherlands (Europe)

Quote Reply
It's similiar to the difference between a car and a camry. SQL stands for Structured Query Language and is just a language, whereas mysql is an implementation.

Hope that helps,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.