Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

password file disappears

Quote Reply
password file disappears
The default.pass (or in my case, distribs.pass) file keeps disappearing at random, and sometimes it leaves the user IDs, sometimes it doesn't. You can be right in the middle of doing a search, and one time it works fine, then the next time I get the error message where the script can't locate the password file. Any idea why the file would keep going bye-bye?

------------------
Scot Robnett
srobnett@earthlink.net
Quote Reply
Re: password file disappears In reply to
Random occurences are very difficult to debug. Is there any way you can replicate it with a set of actions?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Nope. Once it disappeared while I was logged off, the next time it disappeared after I viewed a record. Prior to viewing this record, I had viewed several more without incident.

It *is* on a FrontPage server, and I know that FrontPage is infamous for setting its own permissions through .htaccess and taking over the cgi-bin directory. Maybe it saw that distribs.pass belonged to user httpd and blew it up for some reason, but that's really stretching the possibilities. grin

------------------
Scot Robnett
srobnett@earthlink.net
Quote Reply
I know nothing at all about FrontPage. You have just gone beyond the scope of my experience. Smile

My only suggestion would be to talk to your server admin and see if he or she has any ideas.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Do everything you can to avoid learning about FrontPage.

It doesn't do anything you can't do with Perl, Java, or Javascript. And the server extensions cause all kinds of headaches such as: Putting .htaccess files in *every* directory that disallow POST operations (please!), tying up the ODBC port for its own use, and magically overwriting Javascript code in any page that has been edited outside of FP.

Supposedly this is all fixed in FP2000, but I have no reason to even try it when I am perfectly happy with Dreamweaver, Perl, Javascript, and MySQL. I'm sure you'd feel the same way after trying FrontPage, so, not to "dis" Billy G, but you can save yourself a lot of aggravation by NOT trying it!

------------------
Scot Robnett
srobnett@earthlink.net
Quote Reply
Thanks for the heads up, Scot. (I dis Billy G. all the time. He lives about 20 miles from me, so I guess I can get away with it. Wink )

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply

Quote:
Supposedly this is all fixed in FP2000...

Yep...and there are more features in FP2000 that are nice, too.

I like FP...Although I do not have extensions installed in my server. I strictly use it to design web pages.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Thanks to everyone for their replies. Eliot, sorry if I appeared to be ripping on FrontPage too much. It's just my personal opinion and I'm sure there are plenty of people that like it. I just got a bad taste in my mouth after all the headaches FP 98 caused me. Smile

------------------
Scot Robnett
srobnett@earthlink.net