Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Various issues

Quote Reply
Various issues
I have been running my database for several months now... but I just couldn't leave it alone...

Added the short/long mod, and it is working beautifully. Or so I thought. Turns out that we can not add anything- you submit the form and it gives an ISE. In my attempt to figure out the issue, I created a bigger one. Now I have a ISE on the whole database.

Now, add to that the fact that the debugging is not showing up. I am thinking there may be a reference wrong between the default.cfg and html.pl. (May have something to do with me overwriting the default.cfg with one from another database, but I think I fixed it back.).

Attached is both files. I would be forever grateful if someone could take a look!
Anne
anne@mugbug.com
Quote Reply
Re: [VintageVW] Various issues In reply to
my knowledge of perl is limited...very limited. but I recently played around with DBMAN and got lots of errors. Crazy

as for the files you attached. one thing I noticed was the missing </font> tag in lots of places. and lots of table started out <table></tr><tr>

also, the add had a line <INPUT TYPE=text NAME="Date Added" VALUE="$rec{'Owned Since'}" SIZE=8 MAXLENGTH=8>. Date Added is not in your db_def. BTW. your 'Owned Since' is alpha not date.

I doubt the missing font tag will cause the kind of problem you were experiencing. Not sure about the second, field names issue, but you will need to fix it.

Are you sure you uploaded in ascii format? sorry, just had to ask.

Seems like when I got that kind of error, it was was becuse of "sync" problem between the database and the db_def. Have you added any fields? When did you add fields 22, 23, 24??? If recent, did you add the extra | for each to the default.db?

I assume it is permissable to use 99999 as the maxlength. You've been using that all along?

ALSO there is an extra comma at the end of field 24 in the db_def section of default.cfg. REMOVE IT.

ALSO in that section Points is shown as number and should be numer ( for numeric ).......

And I have hated the use of a space in the field name. I deleted the spaces in all field names in the db_def and in all templates and cgi files ( and the single quote before and after ). I also noted that you have single quotes around all of your field names. probably OK but not needed ( except if you have a space in the field name ).

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."

Last edited by:

esm: Feb 20, 2003, 9:07 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [esm] Various issues In reply to
Did everything you suggested... nothing. And I still can not get the debugging information to display, thought it always has in the past when I asked it to. I am at a loss.
Anne
anne@mugbug.com
Quote Reply
Are you running this on Windoze with PWS or IIS?

I ask because you don't seem to have a path to Perl at the top of html.pl and UNIX servers won't like that.
Quote Reply
post 'em again and let's take a look see now...

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
No path to Perl... hmph, I didn't notice that. Now how did that get deleted?? Crazy

Attached.
Anne
anne@mugbug.com
Quote Reply
Note: I believe the only file that requires the perl path is the db.cgi file

You are missing a comma after the number 7 for the Points field.

Might as well take care of that extra 1; at the botton of the default.cgi file while you are at it.

You could check your default.db file by opening it up in Excel.

Or use CSVdb: http://home.hccnet.nl/...oftware/software.htm

I think many folks here will tell you that the ISE error is usually either a permissions or an (binary) upload problem.

Gene

Last edited by:

esm: Feb 21, 2003, 10:17 PM
Quote Reply
once again, not related to your ISE problem but I saw in your html.pl a lot of the following closing of a table but was never able to wind where you opened it. What did I miss?

Code:
</td></tr>
</table>
</center>

Gene
Quote Reply
Just to make it easier for you all- the table and font issues shouldn't be the problem, becuase I haven't changed any of them at in was working fine before. :)

Made the changes, still nothing. Also re-uploaded in ACSII and CHMODed to 777 for all files (temporarily).

Here is my database, if anyone wants to see:
http://www.mugbug.com/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi
Anne
anne@mugbug.com
Quote Reply
sorry about the HTML stuff...Blush but I did preface my remarks with they would not cause the problem you were experiencing.Wink

I did try running your db and saw a familiar friend - that error msg of an internal error . I would often get the same type error when running my db. And for me ( yours may be different ), the problem was always a problem between the db_def field definitions and the database itself. Maybe others have experienced different problems with the same error msg.

And I think the wording of "internal error" is important. I don't think that is the same as a ISE. but I am far from an expert on that matter. I still think that there is a problem between your db_def fields and your actual database. Have you checked that?

Maybe someone one else has a fresh idea?

Gene
Quote Reply
Finally! Grr! The error for the whole DB is gone. It had something to do with the select feilds, so I just deleted them for now.

However, I am still stuck with the internal error when I try to add a record. I will keep playing with it, and maybe find something.

Thanks Gene for all your help! :) I know this is probably starting to get frustrating for you. Angelic
Anne
anne@mugbug.com
Quote Reply
*Does happy dance*

Fixed. I am such a dunce. I was looking so hard for a Perl error, that I totally ignored the fact that I had

Code:
<form action="$db_script_url" METHOD="POST">
<input type=hidden name="db" value="$db_setup">
<input type=hidden name="uid" value="$db_uid">

twice above the add form. I guess spending hours scouring html and perl does that to you. Wink

Again, thanks Gene!
Anne
anne@mugbug.com
Quote Reply
actually, I'm glad you were able to get it working!!!

And I was curious to see your site...looks interesting.

Congrats!!!

Gene