Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

First Install.. and it dont work :(

Quote Reply
First Install.. and it dont work :(
hi,
trying db out for the first time.... followed the install procedures.. and i get this

DBMan encountered an internal error.

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Debug Information
Script Location : db.cgi
Perl Version : 5.006
Setup File : default.cfg

Form Variables
-------------------------------------------

Environment Variables
-------------------------------------------
DOCUMENT_ROOT : /home/host/host-www
GATEWAY_INTERFACE : CGI/1.1
HTTP_ACCEPT : text/xml, application/xml, application/xhtml+xml, text/html;q=0.9, image/png, image/jpeg, image/gif;q=0.2, text/plain;q=0.8, text/css, */*;q=0.1
HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET : utf-8, *
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING: gzip, deflate
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE: en-us
HTTP_CONNECTION : close
HTTP_HOST : hostname.com
HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE : 300
HTTP_USER_AGENT : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-US; rv:0.9.4) Gecko/20010913
PATH : /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
QUERY_STRING :
REMOTE_ADDR : 255.255.255.255
REMOTE_PORT : 61675
REQUEST_METHOD : GET
REQUEST_URI : /dbman/db.cgi
SCRIPT_FILENAME : /home/host/host-www/dbman/db.cgi
SCRIPT_NAME : /dbman/db.cgi
SERVER_ADMIN : webmaster@hostname
SERVER_NAME : hostname.com
SERVER_PORT : 80
SERVER_PROTOCOL : HTTP/1.0
SERVER_SOFTWARE : Apache/1.3.20 (Unix) ApacheJServ/1.1.2 PHP/4.0.4pl1 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 Rewrit/1.1a

i have modified the real paths.. and put in host/hostname & the remote_addr

thanks,

Warp.

Last edited by:

Warp: Dec 10, 2001, 9:27 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Warp] First Install.. and it dont work :( In reply to
You say that you've put in the host and hostname. Mine failed miserably when I tried that. Try using relative paths instead. Re-check the original cfg file, it uses /filename rather than mydomain.com/cgi/db... etc.

But without seeing part of the actual cfg file, this is only guessing...
Quote Reply
It doesn't appear to be showing any error messages. Is your database working?

To remove the debugging information in your .cfg file set:

$db_debug = 0;

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] First Install.. and it dont work :( In reply to
Yeah the database was working.. and it had the error msg at the bottom (but no pointer to an error..)... what ive done now is reupload the files... re chmod them etc.. and its working fine.. must have been a gremlin loose somewhere.. thanks anyway!

Warp.

Quote Reply
Good to hear... Lois was right, if you have debugging turned on it will generate the error message and give you the environment variables, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong. If you have a 'real' error usually your database will not work at all and all you'll see will be the error message and hopefully with something relevant that points you in the right direction (such as "missing bracket at line 57 in db.cgi" or something).

If you're going to be hacking around in dbman you may want to consider downloading an advanced text editor (such as TextPad) that will let you "colorize" your code, for example I turned all of my comment lines to a very light grey so I can quickly tell what is code and what is comment. This really helps when you have word-wrap turned on. It will also let you dispaly line numbers for easy debugging.

If you haven't already done so, check out the Unofficial FAQ maintained by Lois for a lot of tips and troubleshooting help.
http://webmagic.hypermart.net/dbman/

Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] First Install.. and it dont work :( In reply to
In Reply To:
Good to hear... Lois was right, if you have debugging turned on it will generate the error message and give you the environment variables, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong. If you have a 'real' error usually your database will not work at all and all you'll see will be the error message and hopefully with something relevant that points you in the right direction (such as "missing bracket at line 57 in db.cgi" or something).

Hi, i turned debugging on because DBman said there was an error.. (the one liner) but didnt report with what.. so i turned on debugging... as you can see.. it made no difference...

weird.. but working now... trying to work out if its what i need.. thanks for the suggestion (re editor)

have a good one,

Warp.