Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Error with html.pl created with the Configurator

Quote Reply
Error with html.pl created with the Configurator
Please help.

I am getting this error:

DBMan encountered an internal error. Please enable debugging to view.

When ever I try to access the database.

I used "The Conifurator" at http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/config.html.

I know what file has the error, the html.pl file does, but I don't know where or why?

Could you please help me.

Is says in the html.pl file created by "The Configurator",

# Copy the subroutines below and use them as replacements for sub html_record form and
# sub html_record in your html.pl file

What does that mean????

Thanks

David

Here is the html.pl file:

# Copy the subroutines below and use them as replacements for sub html_record form and
#

Removed coding from thread .. LoisC
Quote Reply
Re: Error with html.pl created with the Configurat In reply to
Hi, I never used JPDeni's mod, but she know's her Stuff ... so what she means by:

Is says in the html.pl file created by "The Configurator",

that would mean to from the "The Configurator" the above rountines ... (for example) copy from:::
sub html_record_form {
# --------------------------------------------------------
blahblahblah down to
</TABLE>
|;
}

and then go to the original html.pl and paste that whole rountine over the one in html.pl and do the same thing for the rountine "sub html_record" then your html.pl will now be using the subs that the configurator built for you.

this mod like many others is basically copy and paste over original code. Very simple once you get used to it.

Don't use the configuarater file unless it's about the same length as the original html.pl one (Possibly the configurator just generates the necessary code only ... I've never used that before so I don't know for sure)

I hope that this helps ... if my explanation sounds confusing please post and I'll try to clairfy. hehe, sometime I don't understand myself either :-D

Good luck

on the pages in between ...
Quote Reply
Do I include </TABLE>
|;
}

too?

Thanks

David

Quote Reply
Yes, the entire code that is generated. Basically everything that you posted needs to copy'd and pasted over the original areas.

Good Luck

Quote Reply
DUDE!!!!

YOU ARE AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!! I have polled my hair out in the past few days, trying to code this manually, and then I found "The Configurator". I tried creating the code with IE, and I waste a hole half hour... Because I couldn't save it... So then I downloaded NS. And I was able to download it.

And then I could not figure out why it would not work... And then you came and helped!!!!

You ARE AWESOME!!!!!!! I can't thank you enough!

I just have customizing to do and it will work!

Thanks

AGAIN!

David

I wish I could repay you.

Quote Reply
Re: Error with html.pl created with the Configurator In reply to
I also have some other questions!

How can I create multiple databases? For like one for a man name Dr. Paul Linstrom and then one for a guy named Victor Mordicy?

And they would have to be totally seperate from each other... No relations... If they search they would have to select the Database from a drop-down menu... And I want to be able to export this database to such like a plain text database? For instance

I have over 21 database fields...

And this database is a calander database... I need it to be as tightly squezzed to gether as possible because we would have to print it out like daily and fax/mail it off. To out clients...

Is their an addon for that?

Please help

Thanks

David

Quote Reply
repay me ... nah ... I had many good folk here helping me. JPDeni, Eliot, Junko, Drew, LoisC, the list goes on ... I'm just glad that I was helpful. Your previous post was more than enough.

Ok, Let's clear this up a little, you sound like best buddy :-)

So, you want:
- Users to access ONLY their own information (no peeking at the other folks juicy news)
- want to print their agenda out for faxing and_or email so that anybody tap a few keys and see it ;-)

easy one first: Actually I have no clue, but there might be something lieing around at the bottom of LoisC's treasure chest (link is at the bottom). I'm sure I saw something for exporting to pdf but hmmm email ... take a look you'll enjoy all the great info there.

why build multiple DBs when you could lock down dbman real tight (check JPDeni's permission thingy she put up -- link at the bottom) which would allow you to give clients/guest/customers only view permissions for their own records. They login (there's a mod to send them straight to thier record) do thier thing and be happy. I bet this would be simpler than making seperate DBs / links and what not (hehe I'm lazy ... can't you guess)

The number of fields really doesn't matter, the more is not the marrier but you're still at a managable amount.

calender mod ... hmmm never looked ... I wonder though people have thought of all kinds of things to do with DBman -- too bad it would do the dishes for me. Best bet would be to view Lois's FAQ something might pop up.

formating for your html.pl:

JPDeni made a simplied version of html.pl that takes alot of the perl html coding out and it's organized very neatly -- easy to follow and things fall into a logical order. Sorry for Alex, but the html.pl of the box is a little difficult to read if you're not used to GT scripts. A site that I did for my buddy has only about 10 lines left of perl html code in html.pl. I can't do perl so I built my own html tables and such. Actually he can edit it on his own now too.

Also, becareful of GoLive/DreamWeaver they are great programs but love to trip you up when you're not paying attention. I like to use either for basic design then turn to something like BBEdit or any other colorized text editor to check for loose ends (hehe, I'm a Mac user)

also, you might want to see "what's playing" in resource center, a lot of talented folks did some really great things with dbman. the vitamin site gave me lots of clues on how to tie in a cart and links, I bet that someone has a site that could help you too. I'm not saying to copy but to look for inspiration ... well ... you know ;-)

I hope I didn't prattle on too much.

Good Luck,

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Junko, Drew
I didn't know Junko had a twin bother Smile...(sorry couldn't resist).

Mods:http://wiredon.net/gt/download.shtml
Installations:http://wiredon.net/gt/
Quote Reply
Re: Error with html.pl created with the Configurator In reply to
The only problem with them ONLY viewing their own content is that, The database count will be in acurit... And I will be able to view all of their junk (Content) and It would confuse me...

LOL

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

David

Quote Reply
Hi Paul,

Well it was like 4:30am where I live. 8-)

Hi webwizzz,

ummm ... getting lost ... what do you mean by acurit? Could you explain more about what you want and don't want.