Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Newbie Question

Quote Reply
Newbie Question
How many links could DBMan hold? I run a directry with about 6000 links and expecting many more and am looking for an easier way to work it.

Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Question In reply to
Same as LINKS...the problem is not with the applications, but with the data storage system that you use. If you use flat text files, then the size of the file is limited to about 1.0 MG and an average of 3,000 - 5,000 records depending on the number of fields, characters allowed in each field, RAM/processor of the server, allocated CPU of the server, etc...(discussed before in the DBMAN forums).

If you use a SQL database storage system, like MySQL or MSSQL, then you can store tons and tons of records and data.

The limitation in the regular versions of LINKS and DBMAN is that they use flat text files, which is limited in terms of the amount of data you can store...yes, you can install hacks like the Relational Mod for DBMAN and External Files Mod for DBMAN, but this is not worth the effort compared to purchasing a robust database application, like Links SQL and DBMAN SQL.

I really hope this answers your question as this is the second related Thread you've posted in the Support forums.

best of luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Question In reply to
But the last one was for Links 2.0 and this one for DBMan....:)...but, yes it does and thanking you for your patience. I just need to get everything worked out before I select what program I'm going to use. I do not want to have to switch in mid-stream. I'm sure you understand.