Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Let users view only limited number of records

Quote Reply
Let users view only limited number of records
I'd like to let user view only limited number of records, using username and password combination. If a user wants to see more records, he must order password again.

Thanks all in advance.

Quote Reply
Re: Let users view only limited number of records In reply to
You will have to add a field to the default.pass file called Viewed_Records and use this field name in the auth.pl file to add the value to the default.pass file.

Now...the tricky thing will be to calculate the total number of viewed records...Here are some questions to consider:

1) How will you allow people to view the same record more than once without exceeding their maximum allocated number of records?

2) How will you handle "hits" versus "views" of records?

This would be a pretty complicated Mod to write...but some of the Mods that may lead you in the right direction are as follows:

1) Cookie Mod - (You might be able to Mod this to track record views on the client-side rather than storing the number in the database file.)

2) Restrict Number of Records - (This is for adding records, you might be able to pull of the same type of logic with viewing records.)

And I am sure that there are other modifications that you could piecemail together to come up with something that you want.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Re: Let users view only limited number of records In reply to
Eliot Lee

Thank you very much for reply.

In my case user will not need to view the same record one more time. There will be info he may see only ones.

Still need help.