Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

How to import other DB records

Quote Reply
How to import other DB records
I have successfully completed the DBMan tutorial, and have 3 records in my database. Now I'd like to import / add many more records from an existing FileMaker Pro database. I'm able to export "found" FM records in Tab-separated text, comma-separated text, and several other formats.

My question is once I have exported the desired records to my computer, how do I "Import" them into my DBMan database? I searched this forum before composing this, and read a post from 2001 about "pasting" ASCII delimited text into DBMan. Huh? I don't even know where my 3 records are stored, much less how to add hundreds more.

A link to a tutorial written as well as the DBMan tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

-Nick
Quote Reply
Re: [nviani] How to import other DB records In reply to
It doesn't take a tutorial. It's really simple. :-)

When you export your ASCII file, use the same delimiter as you defined in your DBMan .cfg file. Download the default.db file from DBMan. (That's where your three records are stored.) Make a copy of your .db file just to be safe.

Open your exported file in a text editor. Also open your .db file. Copy the exported records and then paste them into the .db file. Save the .db file and upload it. Voila! :-D

Quote:

A link to a tutorial written as well as the DBMan tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly!

JPD
----------------------------------------------------
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
How to ask questions the smart way.
Quote Reply
Re: [nviani] How to import other DB records In reply to
Hi Nick,

I use filemaker as well to post database changes. A calculation field in filemaker combines all the fields for each record into the summaryexport field I have in my db database(make sure they are in exactly the same order as your .cfg file), separated by the pipe delimiter, such as:

=field1&"|"&field2&"|"&field3&"|" etc. . .

Then, a looping script copies the contents of the summary export field in each record to an export field (global).

Another script performs the export to the default.db (or whatever your .db file is named).

Once done, it's a simple matter of uploading and replacing your .db file. (I have a FM plugin that ftp's it directly so I don't need to do this step) That same plugin imports the information as well and updates the Filemaker Database.

My particular database is pseudo realtime. Whenever filemaker receives an email of a modified record, a script is triggered that downloads the .db file, updates the inventory information and reuploads a modified .db file.

Hope this helps. Crazy