Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

mailing list mods...

Quote Reply
mailing list mods...
I have two different mailing mods...one is from anthrotech that mails your entire database from a form...super cool, and one that will mail people that are returned from a field query on the datbase, but, that has a fixed subject and message that can't be changed by a form...or so it appears anyway. How can I combine the two to make a form that will email people that are selected from a database query? Is it possible for an intermediate coder? This is a last thing I need done to have my project fully functional for my volunteer group's intranet applications...
Please help...
Quote Reply
Re: mailing list mods... In reply to
I'll work on something today, once I get the current questions answered. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Thank you very much...I'd write a poem to tribute you to if I could...but I am just a musician/coder...not a poet:-)
I really appreciate the help you folks give here, it makes learning this stuff a lot more enjoyable...
Quote Reply
 Smile That's okay. I like musicians, too!!

I got something put together for you. It's at

http://www.jpdeni.com/.../Mods/massmailer.txt

Completely untested (except for syntax errors), but you can give it a try. It allows you to do a search for the users who will receive the email and to enter the message in the form.

Let me know how it works!

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Great job, Carol.

Thanks for the Modification.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
Eliot and JPDeni...you both rock! thanks for the help, I will be back to post and let you know how it turns out!
THANKS!
Quote Reply
Eliot, I figured that each mod had its purpose. Yours is wonderful for doing mailings to everyone automatically. Mine is not so automatic. I think I'll call this the "Internal Mass Mailer." Smile

Yes, db Masters, please let me know. I'm always a little nervous until someone tells me what happened.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I got this error message:
fatal error: Undefined subroutine &main::html_mass_mail_success called at db.cgi line 1495.

I'm looking into it to see whats up, but I am not that good...just wanted to let you know
Quote Reply
Hey, but the mail weny where it was supposed to...
Quote Reply
I FIXED IT...no biggy to pros like you two I suppose...but it is to me:-)
You called html_mass_mail_success and the html.pl file had a sub called mass_mail_success, just changed the name of the sub.
One more very simple Question...you can use ?uid=default to get passed the login page and to the datbase, what is the shortcut to get to admin features, my database is already in a protected area, I have tried ?uid=admin and ?uid=myusername, but they don't work...can this be done?

I good with HTML, DHTML, JavaScript and stuff, but thanks to you two, I am actually getting better at CGI. thanks a million!

[This message has been edited by dB Masters (edited April 22, 2000).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
getting better at CGI.

You mean Perl, don't ya...since that is the programming language and back-bone of cgi programming.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
Thanks for letting me know about the problem with the subroutine name. I've fixed it now.

Quote:
One more very simple Question...you can use ?uid=default to get passed the login page and to the datbase, what is the shortcut to get to admin features, my database is already in a protected area, I have tried ?uid=admin and ?uid=myusername, but they don't work...can this be done?

You need to use

?db=default&userid=your userid&pw=your password&login=1

It might not be a bad idea to save that as a bookmark in your browser.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
er, ya, Perl I mean:-)
Thanks you two, I really appreciate the help...