Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

auto modifying a record

Quote Reply
auto modifying a record
I'm making a membership database.. this includes private messages (not email)....

What I need to do is.. change the status of the message from 'New' (for a new message) to either 'Read' (when it's viewed) or to 'Replied' (If the message is replied to).

'New' is included when writing the message.. but I need a small sub-routine to change 'New' to either 'Read' or 'Replied' automatically without the user knowing or having to manually do anything..

basically I think I need to be able to modify the message.. but I don't know how to do it without going to another screen and manually changing it.

Any help is much appreciated Smile

------------------
-----------
millsie :)
Quote Reply
Re: auto modifying a record In reply to
At what point do you want the record modified? As soon as it is displayed by html_record? And what about changing it to "Replied"? How do users reply to messages?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
hi Smile

For the 'Read' part.. I would like it done as the message is loaded (viewed)..

For the 'Replied' part.. I can put the call for the routine on the 'Successfully sent' page I have..

So if a sub-routine can be made.. I can fit in the calls to use the routine where I need them.. I just have no idea how to write (modify) a record automatically..

I'm using the following variables within the 'dbmail' database..

'To', 'Subject', 'Date', 'Message' and 'New'

Thanks for the help Carol Smile
Quote Reply
Well, let's start with changing the status to "Read" when the record is displayed.

What -- exactly -- is the name of the field that you will be changing? It's easier for me if I give you the code you need, rather than guessing at the field name and reminding you that you will need to change it to match your own database. I often forget that. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
The name of the field is

'$new'

Smile thanks

------------------
-----------
Quote Reply
I don't think that is correct. Do you really have $new listed as the name of the field in the database? With a $? I need the *exact* name of the field as defined in your .cfg file.

If your field name is really $new, you should change it, because you're going to have no end of trouble.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
OOPS Frown

Sorry.. gave that answer when really tired..

The field name is 'New'

The string I use to assign the variable is '$db_new'

Long hours with elderly people, and coding just don't mix Smile

Sorry for the mix up.

------------------
-----------
Quote Reply
Hi Smile

I was also wondering if anyone had found a web board that worked with DBman?

------------------
-----------
Quote Reply
I'm sorry. I must have missed your previous post.

I'm going to be going to bed in just a few minutes, but I'll get your code for you as soon as I can.

Regarding your most recent question, do you mean one that uses the same password file? I haven't found one. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Many thanks for your time Carol Smile

Maybe Alex.. or yourself, could write a forum that could be used with DBman? (very small hint) Smile Smile

------------------
-----------
Quote Reply
Just hoping you haven't forgotten me Smile

------------------
-----------
Quote Reply
Here's the post I was refering to in the other topic Smile Smile

------------------
-----------
Quote Reply
Hi Carol...

I think I've sortof found what I needed to achieve my goal... (in another similar request..)

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum12/HTML/001156.html

The only difference is.. I don't want it to modify the message at login.. but I do want to modify the message as it is viewed.. and then as it is replied to (if the message is repied to)

The only field I need to change in the record, is called 'New'

------------------
-----------