Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

asp vs dbman

Quote Reply
asp vs dbman
I am new on giving database access to websites. I have some experiences on configuring scripts in Perl (UNIX server). I hear a lot about asp (that's on suitable for NT and not UNIX as far as I know). The reason that I have unlimited access to a UNIX server and not to an NT server I have not experimented with asp.

1. Does anyone know what the differences are between asp and a script like the dbman?

2.And are there any situations where you can not use the dbman and have to turn to asp?

Thanks for reply.
Quote Reply
Re: asp vs dbman In reply to
I have very little knowlege of asp. Here's what I know. It's probably faster. It allows the use of databases straight from MSAccess. (The latter one I'm pretty sure of. Not for certain, though.)

I played around a little with a program that creates asp pages, but I didn't like it.

There's the sum of my knowledge. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply

Quote:
that's on suitable for NT and not UNIX as far as I know

That is not completely true...Chilisoft ( www.chilisoft.com ) allows ASP files to be executed in UNIX servers and other servers, including Linux.

Yet the function of ASP files in UNIX servers is quite restrictive in terms of accessing DSN files, which is only available through ODBC in NT servers. One of the benefits of ASP in UNIX servers is that you can use VB (Visual Basic) as the scripting language rather than strictly Perl. Although, you can also use Perl as the scripting language for ASP pages. (Of course, you have to have the appropriate modules to compile the codes written in VB.)

In terms of efficiency, ASP pages are more effective and use less server resources than Perl in NT servers. Also, ASP pages are more secure in NT servers than CGI pages. There are hotfixes available for Perl in NT, but they are a pain to install...that is why most NT administrators prefer their clients to use ASP than CGI and Perl scripts.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited April 05, 2000).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
Do you know if asp is as 'easy' to work with as Perl.

AS I mentioned before, you can use Perl as the scripting language for asp pages. So, yes, it is easy.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.
Quote Reply
Thanx Eliot.

JPD you wrote:
I played around a little with a program that creates asp pages, but I didn't like it.

1. Can you tell what you didn't like in it?

2. I think that asp is not so easy accessible as Perl. This, because your ISP must install those extentions. And since all of his servers are UNIX, I didn't have the possibility to test asp things. Do you know if asp is as 'easy' to work with as Perl. I mean in configure it, etc...

Thanks for your reply.
Quote Reply
What I didn't like was the program I bought (for an outrageous sum) that produced asp pages. It was very clumsy and poorly written. And had no support whatsoever.

It's still on my hard drive, but I haven't even opened it in almost a year.

------------------
JPD